• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

best mp3 player - any thoughts?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ipod, Creative Zen, Archos, ..

Which of these, or some other brand, should I choose, based on ruggedness and capacity above all, and non-obsolescence and market share? (Quibbling about the odd couple of hundred isn't a priority - I want a tip-top model.)

In particular, does the RockBox open-source OS run on anything other than the Archos?

Come on. Someone must have some advice. You've got opinions on everything else.

Comment

What are you looking for?

Looks?
      Size?
      Capacity?
      Battery Life?
      Software Support?
      Ease of Use?
      Sound Quality?
      Expandability?
      Weight?

Comment

In my opinion The Scissor Sisters are well overrated.

HTH.

Comment

iPod - running Linux....:rollin

Comment

> Looks? don't care
            > Size? not worried
            > Capacity? maximum
            > Battery Life? hmm - longer the better I suppose
            > Software Support? don't care
            > Ease of Use? don't care
            > Sound Quality? good (up to 256 kbps)
            > Expandability? not that bothered
            > Weight? don't care

If the Thompson works only with mp3pro, which at best emulates only up to 128 kbps, that brand is ruled out for a start.

Comment

I have a 60 Gig Zen Extra. It will hold about 800 Cds. I have used about half its capacity.
              It is a little on the large size, but everything else about it is terrific. Easy to load, easy to use. Sound quality is good.
              Battery lasts about 14 hours (spec says 11).
              I just loaded all my CDs up and selected random play.

Comment

I've got a Sony Walkman.

It plays all the tapes I own.

It uses batteries.

HTH

Seriously though, this looks like the mutts nuts:
                www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006VJ7VQ/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/202-1095199-5618202

Comment

I have the 40gb createive one. Have to agree that it doesn't look great, but the sound quality is good, the battery life is long and it was about half the price of the Ipod (which looks tons better). Got mine in the US about a 8 months ago where it cost me £120

Comment

Why not wait a couple of weeks and get one of these? Let's you watch video on the go as well.

Archos AV700

Comment

Working...
                    X