• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

going private . . .

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going private . . .

wanted to gather opinions

couple of years into my contracting career have a two year old terror at home, missus wants to plan for her schooling and is keen to taken her down the private route, i'm not massively keen (mainly because of cost)

compromise we were looking at would be private from 3-11 then onto a grammer school (still have them in bham)

went to our 1st open day on sat, ok school nothing special, teachers and governers all seemed a little too desperate but the costs are extorinate, we're talking around £6k p/a on average up until 11 yrs old - thats a lot of money & of course whatever we do for the one, others to follow will be expecting the same treatment

Just wondering what others in a similar boat do, are there any tricks of the trade of missing? don't think there's anyway i could put it through as a business expense

i know the stock answer would be "depends how much you have value your childs' education?" and my answer to that would be "not that much"

)

unless you cannot get them into a decent 'normal' school then I think you are wasting money.....

Comment

£6K? Sounds like a bargain. A fulltime nursery place costs more than that.

£6K a month would be expensive, £6K a year, would you even notice it?

Comment

Send your little one to a state school until she's 11. Use some of the money saved to pay for music or dance or other lessons (if she wants/needs them). If, at 11 (or before), it looks like she's not doing so well, then move on to the private sector.
        Went to a private school myself for a while and it helped me out at a difficult time, but I did just fine in the state system up to the age of 12.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Why not emigrate to somewhere with a decent state education system?
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            £6K? Sounds like a bargain. A fulltime nursery place costs more than that.

£6K a month would be expensive, £6K a year, would you even notice it?
            i'd notice £6 p/a

i think it was £1800 per term for 3 year olds, rising upto around £3k per term for 10/11 year olds, multiply that by 2, (3 if the missus gets her way) then that's a fair chunk no matter how much you're earning p/d

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Why not emigrate to somewhere with a decent state education system?
              WHS. Anyone been watching Wanted Down Under on TV?

Great watching knackered overworked overtaxed Brits see they can earn double in Aus working half the hours and after they compare every single living cost be several thousand pounds better off per month and have better schooling and better healthcare too.

Getting out of the UK is really the most sensible option for the majority of hard working and educated people here.

Comment

Private education never did me any harm.

God these knickers are tight.
                Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                  i'd notice £6 p/a

i think it was £1800 per term for 3 year olds, rising upto around £3k per term for 10/11 year olds, multiply that by 2, (3 if the missus gets her way) then that's a fair chunk no matter how much you're earning p/d
                  Total that all up and it is still less than the £2500 per month rent I was paying recently.

I can only suggest you upskill and earn some decent money as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Total that all up and it is still less than the £2500 per month rent I was paying recently.

Comment

Working...
                    X