• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract ending in Decemeber

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract ending in Decemeber

Hi all,

I'm a newbie .NET contractor and my first contract is due to end at the beginning of November. I've just been given the opportunity to extend it a further 4 weeks until the beginning of December. A couple of contractors I work with are discouraging me from accepting the extension as they tell me the job market virtually shuts down in December and finding another contract will be extremely difficult. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in finding a new contract around this time and if these claims are accurate?

Thanks in advance,
    Wilky.

Originally posted by wilky27 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie .NET contractor and my first contract is due to end at the beginning of November. I've just been given the opportunity to extend it a further 4 weeks until the beginning of December. A couple of contractors I work with are discouraging me from accepting the extension as they tell me the job market virtually shuts down in December and finding another contract will be extremely difficult. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in finding a new contract around this time and if these claims are accurate?

Thanks in advance,
    Wilky.

It's dead in December and January but what else have you got in the pipeline? My experience is that it's taking longer and longer to land new contract work despite getting more and more experienced. Maybe it's the high end of the market I don't know. Probably a combination of that and the current market.

Tell them you want more money as it's a short-term contract (i.e less than 3 months).

Comment

If I were you, I'd take the extra work as money in the bank and use half of it to have an extended Christmas holiday then start hunting again in the 2nd week of January. Treat it as a bonus

Money in the bank is significantly more valuable than the non-existent promise of money from a contract you haven't even started looking for yet.

Comment

Getting a new contract in November isn't a certainty either!

So:
        1) Take a months extra dosh (with the possibility of another month, and another....)
        or
        2) errrr don't!
        Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
        Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

I got my current contract in Jan, so you never know. The only certain thing is that you have 4 weeks pay on the table, so take it!

Comment

I've got extended in October and the contract is to run out just before Christmas. Am planning a 15 day holiday somewhere sunny. Will worry about work, after that.

TBH I am working in a niche market, with about 3-4 roles per professional, and hopefully it is going to stay like this for next couple of years, so am not too stressed.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
              TBH I am working in a niche market, with about 3-4 roles per professional, and hopefully it is going to stay like this for next couple of years, so am not too stressed.

HTH.
              Well no, it doesn't really, does it.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Well no, it doesn't really, does it.
                Surprisingly yes, it is true. There are about 3500 professionals in UK, out of which around half are from Indian companies. The reason I think the future is bright atleast in short term, is because, the code quality is pathetic, and most of my contracts in recent times have been around code evaluation, and redesigning the system. Unless the Indian companies get their act together, they can do the hard work of coding, and I just come in, have a look at the end, do some modifications, and make more money then them.

Well that is the idea so far atleast.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
                  Surprisingly yes, it is true. There are about 3500 professionals in UK, out of which around half are from Indian companies. The reason I think the future is bright atleast in short term, is because, the code quality is pathetic, and most of my contracts in recent times have been around code evaluation, and redesigning the system. Unless the Indian companies get their act together, they can do the hard work of coding, and I just come in, have a look at the end, do some modifications, and make more money then them.

Well that is the idea so far atleast.
                  its good to be positive and confident, however if demand is that great go get another contract now for 3-6months...if you cant get that in the next week or so then you'll have a good idea of what to do next..i.e. take the 4 weeks.

Comment

Take the extension. Maybe they will extend again after one month?
                    That happened to me, took a one month extension, and was offered one month extensions for another 5 months.

Also, my current contract I got in 2nd week Dec. Yes, market slows down, but it doesn’t come to a complete standstill.

Comment

Working...
                    X