• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday & mind out for the Jesus Bolts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday & mind out for the Jesus Bolts

Briton dies in NY helicopter crash - Yahoo!

Oh well.

What can you say.

I can think of better ways to celebrate a birthday than drowning in a fecking helicopter at the bottom of a river.

Tragically, it had only just taken off. A bit tricky to jump out of a falling helicopter, even if it is only a few metres above water.

Comment

I would never travel in a helicopter for pleasure and I would only travel in one if was absolutely necessary.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I would never travel in a helicopter for pleasure and I would only travel in one if was absolutely necessary.
        Yet you'll quite happily travel in a car?

Hark, what's that I hear? Oh yes, another armchair expert!

Comment

Why didn't they use the ejector seats ?
          It's a sad story

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Yet you'll quite happily travel in a car?

Hark, what's that I hear? Oh yes, another armchair expert!
            Statistically, helicopters are safer. I merely stated my preference that I don’t like them. Now go and make some tea my good man.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Statistically, helicopters are safer.
              [ than cars]

Not necessarily. Air safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              No data specifically for helicopters*, but air travel isn't as safe as a car per journey. Much safer per mile or per passenger hour though.

I remember when I went paragliding, the instructor saying something like "now for the most dangerous thing we'll do today", as he got behind the steering wheel. He barely escaped a gliding injury later. I expect Churchill has been spoon fed similar kind of statistics on a helicopter flying course.

From my limited research, to the tune of one page, helicopters do appear more dangerous than planes:
              helicopter accident rate was 7.5 per 100,000 hours of flying, whereas the airplane accident rate was approximately 0.175 per 100,000 flying hours
              That's 42 time the accident rate for helicopters. Note also that 'accident' and death are different outcomes and that helicopters tend to have less passengers than planes and travel less distance on average. At the very least you have to be wary of statistics.
              What Causes Helicopter Accidents?, Helicopter Accident Lawyers: Equipment Failure, Pilot Error
              Last edited by TimberWolf; 5 October 2011, 09:41.

Comment

The stats can be misleading as TW said.
                Fewer deaths/injuries per accident as a helicopter generally takes fewer passengers than a fixed-wing aircraft.
                Probably a higher mortility per accident as it's easier to safely crash land a fixed-wing.
                Fewer accidents per mile travelled but not per journey, I'd imagine, than either fixed wing or other modes of transport.
                IIRC helicopter travel was right up there as one of the most statistically-dangerous per journey, with space travel.

All idle speculation though as I can't be bothered to google the topic. For all I know, microlights & small fixed-wing aircraft could have higher mortility rates as there's less regulatory faff & more stringent pilot training/hours logged requirements than commercial air travel.

Comment

Post-googling (couldn't resist): The risks of travel
                  Doesn't distinguish between rotary & fixed wing, but one thing's for sure... Motorbikes are a particularly dangerous form of travel.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Indeed.

Favourite method of death amongst men in their 40s.
                    What, a motorcycle helicopter?

Comment

Working...
                    X