• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brrrrr. Grrrrrr.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brrrrr. Grrrrrr.

Just had a surprise call on my mobile from an Indian call centre acting for T Mobile. The caller said I had won a phone contract and phone based on my number being pulled out of a hat based on a survey carried out and then started asking me for personal details like what my existing tariff was, my address and so on. As the caller didn't seem very bona fide (his English was very bad and accent very thick which is not what I would expect from a bona fide off shore call centre from India) I insisted on calling the company back.

When I did it turned out I hadn't won anything, they were trying to flog me a new tariff just like any other provided would.

are you trying to tell us that you thought you had really won?

have you got a clubcard?

Comment

I routinely get letters telling me that I am guaranteed to have one of a selection of prizes, all of which are rather nice e.g. colour TV, DAB radio, £1000 cash, etc. To claim I must ring a premium rate number. Sometimes they accept an application in writing. I did this once. The price of a stamp was worth the curiosity value. The prize when it arrived was not one in the list, but was a weekend in Paris in a shared room, with travel by coach, and the option to upgrade to a single room for a large sum.

These fraudulent types need to be sorted out.

Comment

I'm constantly getting calls from some UK based firm asking to talk to me about my O2 contract renewal. They never say who they are untill asked tho.. then i tell them to stuff it.
        First time they called i wasted 5 minutes thinking i was speaking to someone from O2...then the cheeky bitch has the cheek to suggest that i wasted her time
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Where I currently work there were numerous calls (all from india - no suprises there - now where did BT offshore directory enquiries to again....?) to different people in the same office, over 2 weeks, agressively asking us when we were renewing our mobile phone contracts... it was quite laughable at one point as the phone calls were randomly dotting about the office and everyone was sayng 'no, get lost'... (well, the censored version).

I had my first spam text today on my private number, which I have only ever given out to friends.... have another one for work and another one for dodgy companies etc....

My advice is to sign up for one of those 'universal numbers' that cost a premium rate to the caller - whenever you enter a telephone number online for a temporary contact give that number out... let them leave a voicemail that costs them money rather than costing you time....
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
            My advice is to sign up for one of those 'universal numbers' that cost a premium rate to the caller - whenever you enter a telephone number online for a temporary contact give that number out... let them leave a voicemail that costs them money rather than costing you time....
            Even better, get an 0871 number that pays you money every time they call.

Comment

I have my home and mobile numbers registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS).

Every little bit helps to keep the cheeky beggars away.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

I like cold callers phone or door,

Generally I either:
                Try to sell them some dirty grey underwear
                Invite them to a swinging party
                Play the can you hold/wait on a minute (my record is 20 minutes on the phone and 15 minutes at the door)
                or just hand the phone to one of the kids so they can talk to them

well keeps me amused
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                  I have my home and mobile numbers registered with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS).

Every little bit helps to keep the cheeky beggars away.
                  So do I but beware a Cardiff based company (Communications Direct) who disregard this by instructing their sales guys to say - sorry must have dialled the wrong number. Trouble for them was it happened 14 times during one week. Pissed me off so much I started recording the calls - including them "passing off" as O2 and Orange, refusing to remove my details under the DPA and TPS. They also refused to give details of their Data Protection Officer as required by law so I could make a proper claim direct and anyone asking for a supervisor is left hanging on the phone - all recorded. Companies House and Information Commissioners Office are both taking action after I sent the tapes. 14 calls was an obvious attempt to bully me into submission with backfired.

Comment

Originally posted by privateeye
                    So do I but beware a Cardiff based company (Communications Direct) who disregard this by instructing their sales guys to say - sorry must have dialled the wrong number. Trouble for them was it happened 14 times during one week. Pissed me off so much I started recording the calls - including them "passing off" as O2 and Orange, refusing to remove my details under the DPA and TPS. They also refused to give details of their Data Protection Officer as required by law so I could make a proper claim direct and anyone asking for a supervisor is left hanging on the phone - all recorded. Companies House and Information Commissioners Office are both taking action after I sent the tapes. 14 calls was an obvious attempt to bully me into submission with backfired.
                    What a bunch of idiots. Fair play to you for taping the calls!!
                    Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Working...
                    X