• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kent - Garden of England or hotbed of Intolerance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kent - Garden of England or hotbed of Intolerance?

Mrs SB's family originate from Kent. She has a considerable extended family that still live in that part of the country.
    I have to admit, in no other part of the country have I encountered such a sizeable number of intolerant racist bigots.
    Now I appreciate that it may have been affected more by immigration and cultural diversity than many other parts of the country, but on any family get-togethers you can rely upon all manner of ethnics getting the verbal boot put into them.
    Now I have lived and worked in many different areas of the country......London, Yorkshire, Devon, Wiltshire, Sussex, Manchester, and many others, but it really does take the biscuit.
    Is it something in the water?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Mrs SB's family originate from Kent.
    So did yours...

Comment

Kentish by name, Kentish by nature.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Kentish by name, Kentish by nature.
        As in a bunch of bleeding Kents?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Mrs SB's family originate from Kent. She has a considerable extended family that still live in that part of the country.
          I have to admit, in no other part of the country have I encountered such a sizeable number of intolerant racist bigots.
          Now I appreciate that it may have been affected more by immigration and cultural diversity than many other parts of the country, but on any family get-togethers you can rely upon all manner of ethnics getting the verbal boot put into them.
          Now I have lived and worked in many different areas of the country......London, Yorkshire, Devon, Wiltshire, Sussex, Manchester, and many others, but it really does take the biscuit.
          Is it something in the water?

So you've never actually been to an Old Firm game then ?
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
            That would be "sizeable number of intolerant sectarian bigots"....................

HTH

Comment

Which part of Kent? I found Tunbridge Wells disgusted of everyone else but North Kent is just typical Northern racism with the unfortunate addition of coloured people actually living there and joining in.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                Including Strathclyde's finest of course.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Spent teenage years in Medway. Nearly everyone was racist, but don't know how typical that was of the wider populace in the early 80s, or whether attitudes have now changed.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Which part of Kent? I found Tunbridge Wells disgusted of everyone else but North Kent is just typical Northern racism with the unfortunate addition of coloured people actually living there and joining in.
                    Well Erith, Welling, Dartford, Maidstone, Bromley etc. mainly.
                    And it is not confined to any particular group either, it is fairly broadbrush stuff. It is usually started off at a kind of banter level, but it can very quickly deteriorate from there, particularly once the booze starts to flow. Even from the older generation down. Disappointing really, but thankfully Mrs SB shows no signs of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X