• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car problems!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car problems!

Anyone know the regulations regarding cars breaking down when they are at the garage?

My weekday car (10 year old beemer) went in for its MOT last Wednesday. During the test, the radiator expansion tank split depositing the contents of the radiator on the floor. As the car was unable to be driven away I instructed the garage to effect the replacement of the expansion tank.

Subsequently (on Thursday) the garage informed me that the water pump had failed (which is why the pressure built up and the expansion tank went pop) and I approved the replacement. This has created a “running total” of almost £300 in repair bills.

I was advised on Saturday that the radiator fan had also failed and today I was told that the radiator has a crack (and there is an implication that there may be further damage) but have not been advised of the details or resultant cost.

The value of the car is about £1000 - £1200.

My question is that should the (escalating) cost of repairs be unacceptable to me and I elect to scrap the car, would I be responsible for payment for repairs to date? My view is that seeing as the car was “in their care” at the time of failure it could be considered their responsibility (but I doubt this is actually enforceable) or that they were remiss in their diagnosis and that they have discovered faults which were not part of the original estimate and that these are their responsibility as a result in failure of duty of care.

My personal position is that I’m prepared to pay the £300 but any additional is for their account and if this is not acceptable then I’ll not pay anything and scrap the vehicle instead.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

I should think you owe them for the work that you authorised them to do.

They spent the labour time and incurred the materials costs based on your say so.

Comment

I always make sure to tell them to check with me re: cost before doing the work.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post
        Anyone know the regulations regarding cars breaking down when they are at the garage?

My weekday car (10 year old beemer) went in for its MOT last Wednesday. During the test, the radiator expansion tank split depositing the contents of the radiator on the floor. As the car was unable to be driven away I instructed the garage to effect the replacement of the expansion tank.

Subsequently (on Thursday) the garage informed me that the water pump had failed (which is why the pressure built up and the expansion tank went pop) and I approved the replacement. This has created a “running total” of almost £300 in repair bills.

I was advised on Saturday that the radiator fan had also failed and today I was told that the radiator has a crack (and there is an implication that there may be further damage) but have not been advised of the details or resultant cost.

The value of the car is about £1000 - £1200.

My question is that should the (escalating) cost of repairs be unacceptable to me and I elect to scrap the car, would I be responsible for payment for repairs to date? My view is that seeing as the car was “in their care” at the time of failure it could be considered their responsibility (but I doubt this is actually enforceable) or that they were remiss in their diagnosis and that they have discovered faults which were not part of the original estimate and that these are their responsibility as a result in failure of duty of care.

My personal position is that I’m prepared to pay the £300 but any additional is for their account and if this is not acceptable then I’ll not pay anything and scrap the vehicle instead.
        Fooking Ell!! Whose garage did you take it to.....the Chuckle Brothers?
        If/when you get it back, make sure the wings don't fly off when you press the horn!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Fooking Ell!! Whose garage did you take it to.....the Chuckle Brothers?
          If/when you get it back, make sure the wings don't fly off when you press the horn!!

Agreed. Isn't the expansion tank to collect water forced out of what is a sealed coolant system due to too great a pressure? Also, when water pumps fail it normally means they leak due to warn bearings, not fail to pump water round the system. You should have seen the temperature gauge rise when driving the car round.

To get the radiator fan and the radiator cracking too sounds 'very unlucky'. A little trick is to ask for the garage to keep the damaged bits.
          Last edited by The_Equalizer; 5 October 2011, 19:16.

Comment

Get a new motor and stop whining about £1200.

HTH

Comment

Serves you right for driving a BMW ....

Why on earth would you authorise repairs to the car, as it was pretty obvious, the radiator wasnt the only issue?

As for the garage, in future, take it to a respectable one instead of bumbling morons or as someone else said, the chuckle brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Get a new motor and stop whining about £1200.

HTH
                WHS.

Buy a new KIA, you get a 7 year warranty.

I even like the look of the Sportage.

http://www.kia.co.uk/new-cars/range/...-sportage.aspx
                Last edited by DimPrawn; 5 October 2011, 20:11.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  WHS.

Buy a new KIA, you get a 7 year warranty.

I even like the look of the Sportage.

New Kia Sportage | 5 Door SUV From £17,295 | Kia Motors UK
                  Thought you were a Beemer and Audi man a la estate agent?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                    Thought you were a Beemer and Audi man a la estate agent?
                    After scooterscot he is the cheapest man on the planet even though he likes to fantasise about fast cars, big mansions and beautiful women.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X