• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Personal tax return - Rent a Room Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal tax return - Rent a Room Scheme

The Rent a Room scheme : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Hi there

Got a question I hope someone else will have come across.

On my personal tax return I've got the choice of parking my lodger as "Rent a Room Scheme" -- 4,250 tax free, income tax charged on any sum above that.

or:
    "Regular rental", rentalincome - expenses = gross profit.

the lodgings bring in 5000 per year. but I have £260 of bills each month that I would like to mark £130 down as lodgings expenses (50% of: tv licence, elec, gas, internet, council tax) -- is that allowed?

That would be £1560 expenses over the year.

gross profit: 2690

income tax on 2690 is 21% I think.. so that is: £564

The alternative is the Rent a Room Scheme, whereby only paying income tax on £750, so income tax due 157

-- therefore I plan to mark down as within Rent a Room Scheme! Is my understanding correct?

Cheers, rich

The tax would be 20%, 40% or 50% but in any case the taxable amount would be lower under the rent a room scheme than the full method.

I did this a few years ago, you need to declare the rental income of £5000 and then claim the £4250 on the tax form. It is quite easy I seem to remember.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Great, thanks Waldorf!

Comment

Working...
      X