• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Current market: Contractors vs. Permies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current market: Contractors vs. Permies

Been speaking to a few agents recently (as you do) and the general consensus is that there is currently a swing towards hiring permanent staff over contractors.

I've certainly had a lot more fishing calls from permanent recruiters than contract ones.

Is this wide spread at the moment? Or just .Net financials contracts?

Always assumed that in times of austerity, clients preferred disposable contractors.

[edit]
    Just notice I posted this in general rather than Business. So as an admendmen to make it more "general":

Also: Do you prefer to crap at work or in the confort of your own home?
    [/edit]
    Last edited by Cr1spy; 6 October 2011, 12:24.
    Wibble

Originally posted by Cr1spy View Post
    Been speaking to a few agents recently (as you do) and the general consensus is that there is currently a swing towards hiring permanent staff over contractors.

I've certainly had a lot more fishing calls from permanent recruiters than contract ones.

Always assumed that in times of austerity, clients preferred disposable contractors.
    Not sure I would agree with that.

I think companies have projects with very tight budgets, so they are hiring permies at lower cost, knowing in the current climate they can get rid of them at the end of the project.

I think companies hire contractors in the good times, they may cost more but are less trouble for managers, no reviews etc.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I'd agreed. But I'm a freelancer, not one of those pretend contractors who seeks shelter when things get tough.

They'll never take me alive.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        I'd agreed. But I'm a freelancer, not one of those pretend contractors who seeks shelter when things get tough.

They'll never take me alive.
        Very good, me too: "Bench, before dishonour...."

Comment

Do you prefer to crap at work or in the confort of your own home?
          I don't get paid for it at home.

Comment

A good point there... I'm getting far too many calls recently from agencies that are ignoring the indication that I'm contractor only. "Are you sure we can't tempt you to apply for this job? It's an excellent salary with excellent progression potential!"

I had one last night asking if I'd relocate to Birmingham for a permie job as my CV profile says I'll take a contract anywhere in the UK, rate dependent.

I suppose there must be desperate contractors out there somewhere to make this worth the agent's time and grief they get from contractors telling them politely to leave them alone.

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
              A good point there... I'm getting far too many calls recently from agencies that are ignoring the indication that I'm contractor only. "Are you sure we can't tempt you to apply for this job? It's an excellent salary with excellent progression potential!"

I had one last night asking if I'd relocate to Birmingham for a permie job as my CV profile says I'll take a contract anywhere in the UK, rate dependent.

I suppose there must be desperate contractors out there somewhere to make this worth the agent's time and grief they get from contractors telling them politely to leave them alone.
              I've had few calls like that as well. My reply is sweet. Well if my take home does not get affected, I don't mind going permanent. Whey they ask what would be my expected salary range, I quote 85-90k. I am not surprised, that the conversation does not get any further than that.

Comment

I am in a permie gig at present for strategic reasons, not "shelter"/hiding and I although I took a drop, it wasn't much of one.

I had a hilarious exchange with a recuriter who has written to me twice recently offering a job that is an almost exact match for my (niche) skills but at a way lower salary. The first time I explained to him that I was earning quite a bit more than that already and I thought he'd struggle to get anyone at that rate.

Hilariously he followed up our conversation within 7 days by sending me a role that was slightly more challenging and had a lower salary still. I actually asked WTF and he said "the role is working alongside people earning similar salaries, so to bring someone in at your level would cause a riot" Well, fine, but that's like going to the Apple store and saying "I've only got fifty quid but I really need an iPad" - it's not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
                  I've had few calls like that as well. My reply is sweet. Well if my take home does not get affected, I don't mind going permanent. Whey they ask what would be my expected salary range, I quote 85-90k. I am not surprised, that the conversation does not get any further than that.
                  Whenever I am contacted about a job in the city with an "excellent salary," I say, "Wow! Are we talking six figures?"

After all, that's what you'd get as a trader. Why should I settle for anything less for making those demented systems possible in the first place?
                  Der going over der to get der der's.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    Hilariously he followed up our conversation within 7 days by sending me a role that was slightly more challenging and had a lower salary still. I actually asked WTF and he said "the role is working alongside people earning similar salaries, so to bring someone in at your level would cause a riot"
                    Why? Ever contract I've ever seen says do not discuss salary with other people and to be frank that is common sense.

Mind you we do seen to be getting bob agents who don't understand you really do get what you pay for.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X