• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I reckon they're still calling them that over there

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon they're still calling them that over there

Former US president called Indira Gandhi an "old witch" and Indians a "slippery treacherous people", according to recently released transcripts of Oval Office tapes

nixon

Sounds like rather mild use of language by Mr Nixon -- if movie about him is anything to go by then its pretty fecking amazing he did not use a single F word while having said more than few words

Comment

Re: nixon

Indians a "slippery treacherous people",
      Probably thought they couldn't handle firewater and liked to scalp people as well :rolleyes

Comment

Its actually quite interesting, i.e.

Nixon: The Indians need—what they need really is a—

Kissinger: They’re such bastards.

Nixon: A mass famine. But they aren't going to get that. We're going to feed them—a new kind of wheat. But if they're not going to have a famine the last thing they need is another war. Let the @#%$ Indians fight a war [unclear].

Kissinger: They are the most aggressive @#%$ people around there.

Nixon: The Indians?

Kissinger: Yeah.

Nixon: Sure.

----------------

Nixon: Look, even apart from the Chinese thing, I wouldn’t do that to help the Indians, the Indians are no @#%$ good. Now Keating, like every Ambassador who goes over there, goes over there and gets sucked in. He now thinks the—

Kissinger: Those sons-of-bitches, who never have lifted a finger for us, why should we get involved in the morass of East Pakistan? All the more so, I quite agree with the point, if East Pakistan becomes independent, it is going to become a cesspool. It’s going be 100 million people, they have the lowest standard of living in Asia—

Nixon: Yeah.

Kissinger: No resources. They’re going to become a ripe field for Communist infiltration. And then they’re going to bring pressure on India because of West Bengal. So that the Indians in their usual idiotic way are playing for little stakes, unless they have in the back of their minds that they could turn East Pakistan into a sort of protectorate that they could control from Calcutta. That they may have in the back of their mind.

Nixon: Oh, what they had in the back of their mind was to destroy Pakistan.

---------

Loads more here

Comment

Given the usual American standards, I'm impressed they actually knew the geography of India.

I did a contract in America a few years back, and a senior manager at a certain cruise company had no idea that Germany was in Europe :rolleyes

Comment

GW knows that Germany is in "Good Old Europeland"

And Kennedy always wanted to be a donut!

Comment

The rest of the world was saying much worse things about Nixon and Kissinger at the time, and still are.
              And only fair to point out that when they talk about "the Indians" and "the Chinese" they're talking about their governing cabinets at the time, not the entire nations.

Comment

Working...
              X