• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

indemnity insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

indemnity insurance

Morning - I have been contarcting since 07, I am for the first time being told I need Professional indemnity insurance!

Does anyone recomend any brokers / companies? I need the following:

Employer’s Liability Insurance = £1 million
    Public Liability Insurance = £1 million
    Professional Indemnity Insurance = £1 million

Qdos.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Qdos.

thanks - done & dusted!

Comment

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
        thanks - done & dusted!
        Feel free to use the SEARCH facility next time - there was exactly the same post in relation to this earlier this week.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          Feel free to use the SEARCH facility next time - there was exactly the same post in relation to this earlier this week.
          Oiiiii. Get yer own line!!!
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You would mostly need Professional Indemnity insurance. You will only need Employer's Liability insurance if you have any employees working for you (excluding the company director). You will only need Public Liability insurance if you feel that your services directly affects health and safety of people around you as a result of your work.
            If you feel you only need PI, you can ask to remove the requirements of having EL and PL from your contract.
            I did the same for my previous two contracts successfully. More often than not, these clauses are just there for the sake of being there and companies don't even bother if you have PL and EL.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by skipjack View Post
              You would mostly need Professional Indemnity insurance. You will only need Employer's Liability insurance if you have any employees working for you (excluding the company director).
              If your company only has one employee who has 50% or more of the share capital you are legally exempt from having to have EL. So even when agencies leave that in you are legally exempt from having it.

You will only need Public Liability insurance if you feel that your services directly affects health and safety of people around you as a result of your work.
              Generally for "knowledge workers" you don't need PL if the client works on a self-contained floor or has the entire building. However if they work in a building where the toilet facilities and catering facilities are shared by other companies then you need to have it.

If you feel you only need PI, you can ask to remove the requirements of having EL and PL from your contract.
              I did the same for my previous two contracts successfully. More often than not, these clauses are just there for the sake of being there and companies don't even bother if you have PL and EL.
              I had fun explaining to an agency that I didn't have EL because I was legally exempt from having it. However the reason some leave it in is because the PCG advises you to have the insurances as you may need it to operate your right of substitution.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                really? well I guess that not being on here everyday usually means you don't see older posts, as they tend to roll off the first page. Lucky for me cojak came back with a helpful albeit succinct reply, as opposed to some sarcastic comment....

Comment

really? well I guess that not being on here everyday usually means you don't see older posts, as they tend to roll off the first page. Lucky for me cojak came back with a helpful albeit succinct reply, as opposed to some sarcastic comment....
                  Er, that's why you use the search facility, no ? And in what way was the comment sarcastic ?

Comment

It isn't unreasonable for us to expect IT contractors to be able to understand a forum is also a historic resource as well as chat area. It is all about the effort and understanding people have and bearing in mind a search for 'indemnity' brings back over 255 threads and QDOS brings back 219.

The older heads get tired of asking these question so a search is a much better way of finding much more information.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X