• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issue closing down company - HMRC don't get it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue closing down company - HMRC don't get it

I closed a company 2 years ago - all dissolved by companies house.

For a while HMRC kept hassling over PAYE until my accountant threatened them with a bill for his time.

Now I have received a late filing return and a bill for £400.

My accountant says this is very common - HMRC seem to be unable to do even the most basic of checks.

My accountant is going to submit a bill for his time. Can I submit a bill too?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

For a while HMRC kept hassling over PAYE until my accountant threatened them with a bill for his time.

My accountant says this is very common - HMRC seem to be unable to do even the most basic of checks.

For what? You pay your accountant to spend his time dealing with this. Even if you do is it a good idea to alert HMRC further to your plight by putting a bill in for an arguable amount of time spent?
    I would leave your accountant and HMRC to
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sadly, this is quite common with HMRC we also receive these fines for old companies.

Your accountant should deal with this as part of the service, whilst we charge a fee for dealing with the closure of a company, this fee covers for any work in the future, such a penalty notices or HMRC queries.

Alan

Comment

I don't know if that's the right approach - send them a bill, and then that's another thing you will have to chase them along for (they probably will not even acknowledge it). So your PAYE account is still active on the HMRC system. I would suggest you do two things;
        (1) Check all your dates are sorted out - last day of trading, last PAYE return filed, date you notified the HMRC to close the PAYE account;
        (2) Then call and write to them. Keep a template of your letter, and keep firing them off as each penalty is received. In the letter give them the dates the company stopped trading, the date the last PAYE return was filed, the date the company was dissolved on CH, and that you would like to appeal the penalty on the basis their records are inaccurate.

If your old accountant wants to bill the HMRC for his time (??) then I would suggest his/her motivation levels are at rock bottom. Its a simple thing to get a PAYE account closed down and wrongful penalties reversed - yes, it may take 2-3 goes until the message sinks in with the HMRC but if this has been going on for a while you might want to get the job done yourself.
        2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
        || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

My accountant is going to submit a bill for his time.
          Eh? Your accountant wants to bill you? Tell them you paid them to dissolve the company and have it struck off and they should finish the job off properly. It's not your problem if HMRC are being thick about it. Quite aside from that, your company is now dissolved so they can't bill your company, can they.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
          X