• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Google Street View mangles cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Street View mangles cars

Only just noticed, my wife's car looks like this in Google Street view:

Found another very near:

Summit to do with distance I geuss, but wonder of any pedestrians crossing the road get mangled like that?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

They are both in complete focus for me Xog.

I think you may have had a stroke.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Or not enough vodka.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The second picture looks a bit high. Is it part of the new birds-eye view? Seems a bit low for birds-eye though.

Comment

How often is Google Street View updated?

I looked at my home when it was launched in the UK and a few times, some time later, thereafter and the image was the same.

My home was being obscured by a builders van as the neighbours were renovating their house.

Looked just now and my home is no longer being obscured by the van but the picture still appears to be from the same time as the neighbours house is still in a state of refurbishment.

Weird?!

Comment

There are some headless / bodyless people on it, yes.

My favourite is the Camden Head pub, formerly "Liberties", 100 Camden High Street, London NW1.

If you "drive" past it, it starts out as Liberties, then gets its refit and becomes the Camden Head, then goes back in time to being Liberties again.

Comment

Actually, most cars are like this. Look ok as go along road but get alongside car and look down, they are mostly scrunched. I never noticed it before. Can't find any reference on net either. What is anyone else seeing?

PS My place still looks likes a council tip, they had to come along just as I was doing some work and the front garden had bags and bits of timber all over it. Hope they update it soon.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 7 October 2011, 18:12.
              bloggoth

Comment

Isn't it just because they use fish-eye lenses mounted on poles a few feet above the roof of the car?

Comment

Not sure that entirely explains it. Might be that images of nearer objects change more rapidly so hard to merge.

There's a poor bloke trasmorphing into a wheelie bin here.

bloggoth

Comment

Jon Rafman
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Working...
                    X