• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the Experts: How to install XP over the top of Server 2003

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the Experts: How to install XP over the top of Server 2003

Evening All,

hope you all enjoyed your takeaways.

Got a problem at home.

Got an old laptop which has been used as a self training machine and has Windows Server 2003 installed.

Now I want to install Windows XP Pro on there.

When I try to it tells me to get stuffed and that you cannot install XP Pro over the top of Server 2003.

Experts, what can I do to get rid of the Server 2003 and install the XP Pro on there ?

Thanks,

Milan.

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    Evening All,

hope you all enjoyed your takeaways.

Got a problem at home.

Got an old laptop which has been used as a self training machine and has Windows Server 2003 installed.

Now I want to install Windows XP Pro on there.

When I try to it tells me to get stuffed and that you cannot install XP Pro over the top of Server 2003.

Experts, what can I do to get rid of the Server 2003 and install the XP Pro on there ?

Thanks,

Milan.
    mmm,

I'll take a P Bob

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

format c:

or use a large hammer followed by a magnet.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        format c:

or use a large hammer followed by a magnet.
        WHS.

I'd try format c: and an install before the other things though.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          WHS.

I'd try format c: and an install before the other things though.
          Not sure that will work. (you need to dismount the disk)

Download "Ultimate Boot Dos + Linux" and Fdisk the fokker.
          Last edited by Paddy; 7 October 2011, 22:31.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

format c: /y

Comment

WTF is anyone trying to reuse an old laptop.

Bin it & buy a new one man FFS your a contractor they are meant to be disposable
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                WTF is anyone trying to reuse an old laptop.

Bin it & buy a new one man FFS your a contractor they are meant to be disposable
                It's Milan we're talking about. 10 year old Passatt driver, can't even figure out how to install Windows.

Milan you dick, you boot from the XP install DVD, delete the existing partition when it says "existing OS found, what do you want to do you thick bastard?", you don't run the install from inside Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  you don't run the install from inside Windows.

Though if you want to I think there's a trick of renaming a certain windows exe file or folder, so the XP install doesn't think there's an existing OS to worry about.

Then you delete or reformat the existing partition during the install to get rid of the old stuff, allowing a clean install over the top.

I remember doing something like this many years ago when I couldn't boot from the XP CD (needed a boot floppy back then due to bios not supporting CD booting, and the floppy drive was kaput).
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Though if you want to I think there's a trick of renaming a certain windows exe file or folder, so the XP install doesn't think there's an existing OS to worry about.

Then you delete or reformat the existing partition during the install to get rid of the old stuff, allowing a clean install over the top.

I remember doing something like this many years ago when I couldn't boot from the XP CD (needed a boot floppy back then due to bios not supporting CD booting, and the floppy drive was kaput).

It is handy to buy an IDE-SATA to USB adaptor (about £8.00) You can take the drive out and then format it. It is also very handy in doing a virus scan because you can delete any file you want. Once the disk is offline you can often fix a 'dead' disk by running chkdsk /r
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X