• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

India to build world's biggest magnet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

India to build world's biggest magnet

They are trying to find something that moves with plenty swiftness.

Indian neutrino lab to boast world's biggest magnet - physics-math - 22 October 2010 - New Scientist

Good to see them taking on big engineering projects, it really is the needful.
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Ha!

Whilst India wastes time and money building giant engineering projects, out left wing councils are doing the important stuff like building outreach centres for lesbians and asylum seekers.

Comment

Good job gold isn't magnetic or that would be a great idea for an 'all your gold are belong to us' plan.

Maybe my idea of building a giant electromagnet satellite and having it orbit various countries that are metal rich is still feasible while metal prices are high.

The clever bit would be that all the metal it attracts would drag it out of orbit, so you just turn down the magnet to ensure it lands in your field.

[For all of the internet: This idea can be licenced for a suitable fee if you decide to patent or implement it. ]
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          Good job gold isn't magnetic or that would be a great idea for an 'all your gold are belong to us' plan.

Maybe my idea of building a giant electromagnet satellite and having it orbit various countries that are metal rich is still feasible while metal prices are high.

The clever bit would be that all the metal it attracts would drag it out of orbit, so you just turn down the magnet to ensure it lands in your field.

[For all of the internet: This idea can be licenced for a suitable fee if you decide to patent or implement it. ]
          I was just looking at the composition of Earth. We're basically on an iron planet (32% iron), with the crust being mostly oxygen (47%).

30% of the whole Earth is Oxygen too, I wonder if it's going rusty under the crust.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth#Chemical_composition

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            We're basically on an iron planet (32% iron)

That supports my other idea. Moving plants by magnetism. Point your supermagnet at a planet, tune in to the correct magnetic frequency, and watch the planet come for a visit.

No need for space craft, just move the planet. What's the speed of magnetism, anywhere near speed of light?

Also works for defending against asteroid attack by tuning the magnet to repel.

Could also have a great game of intergalactic billiards.

I suppose spacecraft could use a similar magnetism engine if moving planets is too ambitious.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              They are trying to find something that moves with plenty swiftness.

Indian neutrino lab to boast world's biggest magnet - physics-math - 22 October 2010 - New Scientist

Is this where the UK's £295m per year aid to India is going rather than here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12607537

India has more people living in poverty than the entirety of sub-Saharan Africa

This girl was 14 when she married her 19-year-old husband

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15082550
              Last edited by Paddy; 9 October 2011, 15:00.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Typical CUK non science bllx, so far.

Anyone who takes these things serious, like moi, knows that several things will follow from a big magnet

1. Iron repulsion. No point ironing any more, so all the Bobs clobber will be wrinkly

2. Compasses wrecked. If your canteen is run by compass - bring your own butts tomorrow

3. Opposites attract. If you are female, good looking and bright.
                give us a sh@g

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

How much would a bloody big magnet increase the price of your house?

Comment

Working...
                  X