• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At last, one great idea from the government............

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last, one great idea from the government............

But will it ever get built? I seriously doubt it.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    It’s a tulip stupid idea!

The article states the idea did not come from the government, it came from the chamber of commerce. (Probably construction companies)

If a passenger transits at the same airport; the luggage is forwarded and they don’t go through customs and immigration.

I think it is a ridiculous idea as there are very few transit passengers between airports. If passengers do transfer between LHR and LGW, they have to clear customs and emigration and take their luggage with them and go through the whole check-in and security process again.

If the government wants to encourage London airports to be international hubs, then they should abolish the departure tax.

At the moment, for long haul flights it is cheaper to fly to Europe and then on to the final destination because the European departure tax is cheaper.

BTW: Concdering the cost of the Heathrow Express, The Heathrow Gatwick would have to charge around £80 one way.
    Last edited by Paddy; 8 October 2011, 09:21.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

For that money they could build a monster airport on the Thames and reclaim the land from Heathrow and Gatwick.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why do they need a train line between the two airports?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Similar ideas have been put forward before.

alwaystouchout.com - Airtrack

A direct line does sound better though. Maybe instead of trains they could use these things:

"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            It’s a tulip stupid idea!

The article states the idea did not come from the government, it came from the chamber of commerce. (Probably construction companies)

If a passenger transits at the same airport; the luggage is forwarded and they don’t go through customs and immigration.

I think it is a ridiculous idea as there are very few transit passengers between airports. If passengers do transfer between LHR and LGW, they have to clear customs and emigration and take their luggage with them and go through the whole check-in and security process again.
            Did you read the article? The idea is that the station at each end would be behind security lines therefore the transfer could be done with no customs/emigration/check-in/security. Obviously at the moment there aren't many transit passengers between airports, but if the transfer time was 15 mins instead of 90+ that would probably change quite quickly.
            "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
              Did you read the article? The idea is that the station at each end would be behind security lines therefore the transfer could be done with no customs/emigration/check-in/security. Obviously at the moment there aren't many transit passengers between airports, but if the transfer time was 15 mins instead of 90+ that would probably change quite quickly.
              No I didn’t, do you expect me to post facts in General!
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If I was designing a solution it would be multi-segment aircraft split into cockpit, wing, tail, and passenger segments that are clicked together to build aircraft on demand.

You could then stay in your segment (divided by final destination) and get connected to a different aircraft for onward journeys.

They could then load segments onto trucks or trains for transferring to other airports if they don't want to fly them there. No need for security or rechecking in if the door seal isn't broken.

If they need more capacity plug in more passenger segments, allowing for planes of the right size for the journey and current demand.

I call it the LEtsGO Plane.

[To all of the internet: This idea is available for a suitable licencing fee if you wish to patent or implement it. ]
                Last edited by PAH; 8 October 2011, 10:11.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Got an even better idea, fly to Amsterdam or Frankfurt and use the hub there.

Comment

I'd go one step further and merge RAF Northolt into Heathrow as well, that way we get the extra runway we really need. I agree that UK air taxes are killing off the UK airports slowly but surely, particularly for long haul routes where the tax is simply stupid. On flights I have taken the last year or two the taxes have been as much as 110% of the basic air fare. That cannot continue.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                    X