• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning German

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning German

Anyone got any recommendataions for any German language courses - online or otherwise? Need a bit of a crash course - got about 3 months by which time I want to be able to do basic verb conjugation etc. TIA

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Anyone got any recommendataions for any German language courses - online or otherwise? Need a bit of a crash course - got about 3 months by which time I want to be able to do basic verb conjugation etc. TIA
    Different people have their own preferences because we don’t all learn in the same way. If you are in the UK, go to the library and try some out. You can even back-up their CDs for them free.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Whilst I was stationed in Germany in the early 80s, I was sent down to Italy on a training course for 4-5 months. Whilst down there I decided to try and learn German so that when I returned north, I would be able to converse freely with the locals.
      Bought a book and an English-German dictionary, and put a few hours into learning it.
      When I returned to the Fatherland, I was able to construct quite complex sentences, and had a reasonably good accent too.
      So much so that many Germans believed, when I spoke, that I was actually quite fluent.
      Where it all went wrong though was, despite the fact that I knew what it was that I was saying, I often had no clue what their reply was.

Still, I think most of them appreciated the effort I had made, so all was not lost.We generally just defaulted to English.
      I suppose I can honestly say that I can speak German. I just can't always translate when someone else speaks it!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I've been using the pimsleur method, not the exact one I've linked there but the result is the same. Before I tried michel thomas, while you get history in the lessons also you need more time for sure.

With the Pimsleur I find myself using being able to make use of what I've learnt very quickly; 'excuse me', 'what is the time' 'when could you have that ready' 'I would like to order etc.. ' lots of stupid small stuff and before you know it your constructing your own sentences.

If you want to impress a German I've been told learn 'eine kleine Schachtel Streichhölzer bitte' (a small box of matches please)
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Different people have their own preferences because we don’t all learn in the same way. If you are in the UK, go to the library and try some out. You can even back-up their CDs for them free.
          WHS. Even my very local library is heaving with audio books, including lots of language books, and the larger central library overfloweth with them. Underrated places libraries, all sorts down there. I sometimes go down there to do my printing too (10p per page).

Comment

I believe that you only have to speak English but use more V's in front of words when talking in a rough voice.

VE HAVE VAYS OV MAKING YOU TALK HERR VURZEL

Simples.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I started with the Michel Thomas course (bought the "advanced" one too), which I think are really good if you know nothing, but there's big holes in what you do learn and you won't gain listening skills or much vocabulary.

I also bought a good beginners online course called Rocket German, although it was a bit expensive for what it was, and more recently I found a great intermediate course from Audible (the publisher is Innovative Language Learning - I think there's beginners' versions too). That's what's been going round and round in my car for the last few months. As always there's no shortage of beginners' material, but once you get to an intermediate level it's much harder to find anything.

BTW verb conjugation is quite easy in German. It's the cases and crazy word order that make it difficult.

My biggest problem is I'm no good at sitting down and memorizing vocabulary. I know enough of the grammar that I could probably speak German quite well if only I knew what all the words meant.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Whilst I was stationed in Germany in the early 80s
                So in the event of WW3 you'd be on the sharp edge of Soviet tanks stationed in Germany?

The fate of the free world was clearly in bad hands back then - good thing nothing serious happened and you could continue to peal potatoes for the duration of the tour

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  I believe that you only have to speak English but use more V's in front of words when talking in a rough voice.

VE HAVE VAYS OV MAKING YOU TALK HERR VURZEL

Simples.
                  VHS. Jawohl.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    I've been using the pimsleur method, not the exact one I've linked there but the result is the same. Before I tried michel thomas, while you get history in the lessons also you need more time for sure.

With the Pimsleur I find myself using being able to make use of what I've learnt very quickly; 'excuse me', 'what is the time' 'when could you have that ready' 'I would like to order etc.. ' lots of stupid small stuff and before you know it your constructing your own sentences.

If you want to impress a German I've been told learn 'eine kleine Schachtel Streichhölzer bitte' (a small box of matches please)
                    Du bist eine insellafen spiesser.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X