• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brrr-ace yourselves!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brrr-ace yourselves!

Britain to shiver in -20C in weeks [sic]

UK winter weather warning: -20C in weeks as councils stockpile extra grit | Mail Online

I thought the met said it was going to be warm again this winter?

I used to have a jacket that made me look like the Michelin man, which appears I've thrown away. It was warm but only went down to about my navel. Miss it now, as those things seem to cost a fortune in the shops. Still on the lookout for something warm, long and cheap.

The army surplus stores have lots of heavy long gear in stock, although not particularly well padded. Might still be warm though, and they are cheap.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Britain to shiver in -20C in weeks [sic]

UK winter weather warning: -20C in weeks as councils stockpile extra grit | Mail Online

I thought the met said it was going to be warm again this winter?

I used to have a jacket that made me look like the Michelin man, which appears I've thrown away. It was warm but only went down to about my navel. Miss it now, as those things seem to cost a fortune in the shops. Still on the lookout for something warm, long and cheap.

The army surplus stores have lots of heavy long gear in stock, although not particularly well padded. Might still be warm though, and they are cheap.
    Thanks for that. 1st article of it's kind though, as I'm waiting for these to appear in the press. Longterm weather patterns are saying cold snap with only snow in Scotland and the North. I need to see more of these before jumping into Operation Sledge.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oi! Halfords 10000!!!!! Those are my fricking sledges from my supplier!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Thanks for that. 1st article of it's kind though, as I'm waiting for these to appear in the press. Longterm weather patterns are saying cold snap with only snow in Scotland and the North. I need to see more of these before jumping into Operation Sledge.
        But you've sold your shop

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          But you've sold your shop
          That's not the plan for this year. Six concessions stands this year in shopping centres(prelim booked & paid non refundable depoists for the spots back in Feb for Nov/Jan(Dec too expensive)). Sledges, snow shovels, wellies. That;s why my contract is up in 14 days and I'm holding off a renewal. I'm waiting for more of the article you've posted and for the weather forecast to change to SNOW, SNOW, SNOW.

Comment

That's not the plan for this year. Six concessions stands this year in shopping centres(prelim booked & paid non refundable depoists for the spots back in Feb for Nov/Jan(Dec too expensive)). Sledges, snow shovels, wellies. That;s why my contract is up in 14 days and I'm holding off a renewal. I'm waiting for more of the article you've posted and for the weather forecast to change to SNOW, SNOW, SNOW.
            'Grit ready for a chilly -20°C' | The Sun |News
            Region's councils stockpile salt for winter (From The Advertiser Series)
            The Press Association: Councils stockpile extra road salt
            Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: -20C to hit Britain

Comment

And it only seems like a week ago when people were running around in speedos, frolicking in public ponds and fountains and the temperature was edging toward 30 degrees C.

Comment

Cheers. It's the same story though.

Halfords: White Out Warnings See Early Deliveries of Sledges

Think I may take a gander of Halfords tomorrow. I sold around £7k worth of sledges last Xmas from a point C location (about 400), so 10000 over the whole Halfords is not much bearing in mind they ran out last year.

Comment

Might buy one in Halfords tomorrow, ta for link MF.

Comment

Cheers. It's the same story though.
                    Yeah, and the papers might have made bits up. It's mainly a story about enough grit being ordered by councils this year. Plus a prediction from some loon who thinks he can predict the weather better than the Met with their billion dollar computers and climate models.

James Madden – Exacta Weather Long Range Forecaster

James has personally studied many aspects of weather since a young age. He currently possesses a vocational qualification in Natural Sciences, and is in the latter stages of completing his Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Geography. He is planning to expand on his already vast knowledge base and pursue his passion for weather forecasting further, by completing a MSc in Applied Meteorology and Climatology/PhD Meteorology.
                    About Us

Comment

Working...
                    X