• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Real life ain't Sugar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real life ain't Sugar

"I won The Apprentice but Lord Sugar didn't want to know. I feel angry and used: Stella English reveals why she quit her £100,000 job after just nine months"

Stella, who became known on the 2010 series as an ‘ice maiden’, has now lifted the lid on the reality of winning the coveted title, saying she has been left frustrated and humiliated.

Contrary to claims that winners secure a job working directly for Lord Sugar, ambitious Stella found herself shunted into a company where she claims she had no clearly defined role and little contact with the man who just nine months earlier had told her: ‘You’re hired!’

She gave up a prominent role at a City bank to take part in the show but was told after winning the TV series that, actually, there was no real job – with real duties, responsibilities and targets – for her to do.

Furious Stella tried to quit once before and was talked into taking on a different role. But, she says, Lord Sugar later admitted this was little more than an attempt to ‘preserve the integrity of the BBC, the show and me’.

Stella finally resigned last week and has now decided to speak out about how she feels ‘used’ by Lord Sugar.

Those doubts were intensified after she met Tkachuk in early January.

‘He said, “The cameras have stopped rolling now. Welcome to the real world. There is no job.”

On September 28, Lord Sugar called Stella to a meeting, where he pointed out that her contract would be up at the end of December. She said he told her: ‘I dunno what to do with you after that. Maybe you should think about what you want to do.’ Stella told him she wanted to stay where she was.

But, she said, he told her that YouView couldn’t afford to pay her and added: ‘I’ve met my obligations to you as far as I’m concerned. If you think Lord Sugar was s****ing himself when you left the Viglen job, you’re wrong, ’cos I don’t give a s**t.’

Stella said: ‘He told me I was there to protect the BBC and to protect the integrity of the show, to protect himself and – finally – to protect me.’

Stella understands that Lord Sugar’s prime concern was to avoid bad publicity.

‘I couldn’t believe he said that. I’d gone to work there under a pretence. He had strung me along and now he was washing his hands of me.’

Stella has not been back into the office since and on Thursday, posted her resignation letter.

She said: ‘I’m relieved it’s over and angry that I’ve been used. I just don’t understand why he had to stick the knife in.’

Source: Apprentice winner Stella English on why she quit her £100k job with Lord Sugar | Mail Online

Never liked that program - next worst thing to the so called "Dragons"...
    Last edited by AtW; 9 October 2011, 17:48.

What's up with her knees?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      What's up with her knees?
      She hasn't been photoshopped. That's what real knees look like on a bird.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

..only when its carpet burns from doing the needful
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

She worked for Viglen? For that bloke who doesn't know what an ISP is?

Comment

No hard feelings then.

Comment

One of the comments:

"I don't believe a woman who earned 85k pre-Sugar couldn't hold her own. Also, the initial decision to throw an 85k City career away for an extra 15k and no clear outcome was foolish in the extreme. You made that choice, get over it."

So is it true she quit City career for extra £15k which is £8k after tax and moved her house to show commitment?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                She hasn't been photoshopped. That's what real knees look like on a bird.
                WHS

Why do you think lots of women wear tights?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  One of the comments:

"I don't believe a woman who earned 85k pre-Sugar couldn't hold her own. Also, the initial decision to throw an 85k City career away for an extra 15k and no clear outcome was foolish in the extreme. You made that choice, get over it."

So is it true she quit City career for extra £15k which is £8k after tax and moved her house to show commitment?!?!
                  What price attention seeking?
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    ..only when its carpet burns from doing the needful
                    Ooops. Left the wrong rep. Sorry.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X