• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Email malfunction - advice needed.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email malfunction - advice needed.

Ok, even I've done it. Instead of a FW, I've used a RE and sent a critical email to the recipient of said criticism instead of the PM. While it wasn't insulting and he wasn't named, he is the head of area. I was going to deal with the situation in a more diplomatic manner in a meeting tomorrow.

How do I best tackle this faux pas? Apologise for it? I can't, I meant it. Brazen it out with a grin?

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Ok, even I've done it. Instead of a FW, I've used a RE and sent a critical email to the recipient of said criticism instead of the PM. While it wasn't insulting and he wasn't named, he is the head of area. I was going to deal with the situation in a more diplomatic manner in a meeting tomorrow.

How do I best tackle this faux pas? Apologise for it? I can't, I meant it. Brazen it out with a grin?

I have been brought in to speak honestly with a view to move the organisation forward. My comments were not personal and I hope I treated you with fairness and respect. Dont forget, I will be gone in a few short months, I have no axe to grind with you personally, and I hope you can treat the exchange constructively. Good communications are vital to an organisation such as this

then twat him in the grid with your uke

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You need email with undo functionality
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

One thing I have learned.

Never be critical of anyone or anything in an email of voicemail.

One, you don't know where it will end up or whether it will come to haunt you later.

Two, you could be a complete muppet and send it to the wrong person.

Only be critical of another in a face to face meeting.

So many contractors end up on their arse for not following this rule.

Oh, and there's nothing you can do, you are probably forked now.

HTH BIDI

Comment

In my very first contract, I learned, luckily, to keep your ink dry. I mailed my wife on company email that the boss was an idiot, which he was. She emailed back to say, never mind, milk the contract for all its worth, and we'll take the one on offer in Aus.

The email was read 'in a security trawl' a couple of days later and I was sent home.

Hotmail only now, and nothing said out of meetings...

Hope you're alright.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Why didn't you add internet boards to this?

I'd handle this straight - go to the person in question and say whilst this email was not meant for him I am prepared to repeat it in this face.

Comment

I've also done it in the past... best advice is to hide under the desk if you see them approaching

or

Just twat him, walk out & find another contract & put it down to experience
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

If you can, go and see the subject/unintended recipient of the criticism - re-iterate what you've posted in the email and elaborate if required.

Brazen it out. You meant it in the email, tell them to their face now.

Who knows they may welcome your critique.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  One thing I have learned.

One, you don't know where it will end up or whether it will come to haunt you later.

Two, you could be a complete muppet and send it to the wrong person.

Only be critical of another in a face to face meeting.

So many contractors end up on their arse for not following this rule.

Oh, and there's nothing you can do, you are probably forked now.

HTH BIDI
                  WHS, unfortunately

Also, if the facts are "clarified" in the right way then they speak for themselves and you shouldn't need to criticise anyone. In fact with the right phrasing, you can make it look like you're valiantly defending them.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    twat him in the grid with your uke
                    And repeat as necessary.

Comment

Working...
                    X