• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do people live off £622 a month plus tax dividends quarterly???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do people live off £622 a month plus tax dividends quarterly???

I believe the only way to avoid personal tax and only pay 20% corporate is to take a salary of £622 a month, and take the rest in dividends...ok great..so how do I pay my rent which is £700 a month?

My accountant is now saying I must setup PAYE (since I live in a reality where I need around £1500 a month), and I will have to pay further personal tax on this..

I'm sure some of you out there are far more experienced than I and can offer some advice on how not to get r*ped by HMRC

Kind Regards

You can pay monthly salary of whatever you like, although you will need PAYE set up if it's above a certain amount. Dividends can then be paid monthly, no need to wait and do it quarterly.

If you're looking to avoid any PAYE on your salary then go for £589 a month - this gives you enough to cover your state pension without resulting in tax & NI (depending on your tax code and prior income).
    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Jeystone View Post
      I believe the only way to avoid personal tax and only pay 20% corporate is to take a salary of £622 a month, and take the rest in dividends...ok great..so how do I pay my rent which is £700 a month?

My accountant is now saying I must setup PAYE (since I live in a reality where I need around £1500 a month), and I will have to pay further personal tax on this..

I'm sure some of you out there are far more experienced than I and can offer some advice on how not to get r*ped by HMRC

Kind Regards
      The usual technique is to take the money you need out of the company bank account as salary and dividends. The really clever bit is to time it so that there is enough money in your personal account to pay the bills when needed. Or put three months worth in htere and only spend it one month at a time. I beleive it's called "budgetting".

Or you could take dividends more frequently if you really want to. As long as the company's supporting paperwork is straight, they won't get marked as salary by HMRC.

And you're not avoiding personal tax, you're avoiding NICs. But you knew that, of course.

HTH
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the question...? If you're going to take dividends quarterly, then it's only hard to make ends meet for the first 3 months. After that you should have enough to keep you going for the following 3 months...

I take dividends annually... I know how much I will spend and it lasts all year.
        It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
          I take dividends annually... I know how much I will spend and it lasts all year.
          I wish I could get that organised financially...

It's like plumber's taps always dripping. I can manage a £25m P&L and bring it in to perfection, but can I plan a year's income at home? Can I heck...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            I wish I could get that organised financially...

It's like plumber's taps always dripping. I can manage a £25m P&L and bring it in to perfection, but can I plan a year's income at home? Can I heck...
            LOL, same. The numbers probably say yes... head just can't get around it
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              The usual technique is to take the money you need out of the company bank account as salary and dividends. The really clever bit is to time it so that there is enough money in your personal account to pay the bills when needed. Or put three months worth in htere and only spend it one month at a time. I beleive it's called "budgetting".

Or you could take dividends more frequently if you really want to. As long as the company's supporting paperwork is straight, they won't get marked as salary by HMRC.

And you're not avoiding personal tax, you're avoiding NICs. But you knew that, of course.

HTH
              ok great so why is my accountant insisting that dividends are taken quarterly?

Comment

Maybe it makes his life easier, but it's not up to him. You're the director, you can declare a dividend at any time you want.
                ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

no idea why they are saying quarterly I take dividends every month, never had any issue

Comment

Because they don't want to do more paperwork than they have to.

You can declare a dividend every time you raise an invoice if you like - you don't even have to wait till the invoice is paid (so long as you know it will be paid). You are the director of the company, not your accountant.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X