• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monitoring broadband usage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring broadband usage

Had an email from BT saying that I went over my limit (40GB) by 1GB last month. I find this hard to believe as I was on holiday for two weeks and AFAIK didn't download that much before or after.

Is there a way I can monitor my usage by machine? i.e. if I have multiple machines running, identify how much each one is down/uploading?

If not, then as a whole?

I want to know if one of them is being used by something I'm not aware of.

TIA

Pondy

First step, setup up logging on your router, my draytek gives graph representation of whats uploaded/downloaded..

also check to see who has/is accessing the router i.e that the WIFI security is up and secure and that a neighbour isn't piggybacking onto your free network
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
      First step, setup up logging on your router, my draytek gives graph representation of whats uploaded/downloaded..

also check to see who has/is accessing the router i.e that the WIFI security is up and secure and that a neighbour isn't piggybacking onto your free network
      This would be my starting point - see which clients are logged on.

Also, lock down how many clients can access the internet via MAC address.

Comment

Don't most ISPs also have their own tracking stats so you can at least see what they claim is going on?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ta for the info so far.

@chef - wifi is secure but I have no logging on the router other than an event log.

@clippy - no unknown machines are connected according to the router.

@d00hg - unfortunately I can only see this month's usage to date, and it's just a number of GB.

Comment

There are desktop gadgets available (on any modern OS I imagine) that show real time network usage for incoming and outgoing. Handy for seeing how much bandwidth stuff like iPlayer really consumes.

Ask BT to produce proof you've gone over your allowance, with a proper breakdown of type of usage per day, which should be standard when they're being so strict on usage.

Besides, they own Plusnet and Plusnet offer this as standard via logging into their site, so if BT don't, complain and ask to switch to one of their better subsidiaries. Should wind them up if nothing else.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Just switch to one of their unlimited packages (see BT Broadband Telephone packages & great deals on broadband & phone) or switch provider to an alternative

Compare Unlimited Broadband Deals & Offers - Unlimited Broadband Packages - uSwitch.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Had an email from BT saying that I went over my limit (40GB) by 1GB last month. I find this hard to believe as I was on holiday for two weeks and AFAIK didn't download that much before or after.

Is there a way I can monitor my usage by machine? i.e. if I have multiple machines running, identify how much each one is down/uploading?

If not, then as a whole?

I want to know if one of them is being used by something I'm not aware of.

TIA

Pondy
                All my traffic goes through my home sever. I have a program called rainmeter, works well on all OS's ... Tells you your dl/ul amount, cpu usage, etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Just read up on the fair usage policies. They were not very forgiving in the past few years but might have relaxed a little. Unlimited certainly did not mean unlimited not so long ago.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Just read up on the fair usage policies. They were not very forgiving in the past few years but might have relaxed a little. Unlimited certainly did not mean unlimited not so long ago.
                    Still doesnt for me! My virgin BB is supposed to be "unlimited". I dont have download or upload limits. However, I have fair use policies during peak hours, which is most of the day and evening. If I go over a capped amount, my 10meg service drops down to 2.5meg and the ping rate shoots through the roof making online gaming impossible.

Comment

Working...
                    X