• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Threaded

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threaded

I see our great man threaded has not returned in his Lamborghini.

Do you think threaded perhaps suffers from narcissistic personality disorder?

A pattern of grandiosity, excessive need for admiration, entitlement, and lack of empathy are the chief components in the diagnosis of NPD. These behaviors begin in early adulthood. A narcissistic individual is unable to trust others but replies on others to be a mirror which reflects back to him his unrealistic perception of his accomplishments, brilliance, talent, and beauty. A narcissistic individual has a fragile sense of self. To strengthen his sense of self he depends on other's admiration and constant attention. He expects other's to covet his possessions and he is constantly seeking compliments. Thus the narcissist develops numerous, shallow relationships to extract tributes from others.

Because a narcissistic individual has a shifting morality--always ready to shift values to gain favor--any interaction with a narcissist is difficult. Narcissists are self-absorbed and have no interest in anyone other than themselves. Their tendency is to form friendships or romantic relationships with only those that can enhance their self-esteem or advance their purposes.

A narcissistic individual has a basic sense of inferiority although if you listen to him talk you would never realize it. A narcissist presents a false self to the world. Under his inferiority is a preoccupation with fantasies of outstanding achievement, ideal love, and an aimless orientation toward superficial interests. The narcissist uses others to aid him in any tasks he undertakes and will frequently take credit for work which others have done. The narcissistic individual may be more successful at his chosen field of work than some of the other personality disorders. This is because his work can be advantageous to the narcissist especially if it provides narcissistic supply.

Lying is an integral part of the narcissist's behavior and all their self-reports are unreliable. His cognition is impaired to the extent that he frequently misinterprets other's speech, actions, and thoughts. He may believe that someone respects or loves him although this is a fantasy which exists only in the mind of the narcissist.

Narcissists will over inflate their own accomplishments, are boastful, and pretentious. They frequently will compare themselves to people of great accomplishments and are surprised when others do not agree with them. In fact, it is not unusal for the narcissist to compare himself with God.

Although he may attempt to impress others with knowledge and decisiveness, a narcissistic person's information base is often limited to trivia. His ideas are seldom original. He chooses to quote whoever he feels at the time is an authority, however, the narcissist's quotations may not be accurate as to what the chosen authority meant. The narcissist makes his own interpretations to best suit his whim. People other than the narcissist may wonder why he picked that individual as an authority since no true validation may exist the individual is an authority.

He also feels that people of high status can only understand him and he often assigns special, gifted, or unique qualities to the people with whom he associates. He will insist that he has the best doctor, lawyer, etc., available, and will assign non-factual accomplishments to that individual to prove the validity of his claims.

A narcissistic individual displays beliefs and behaviors that indicate a sense of 'specialness' or 'uniqueness.' He expects favorable treatment from others and wants automatic compliance with his requests. For instance he does not feel he should be made to wait in line and expects to be the center of attention. He is mystified when he does not get what he wants. If an individual disappoints him then he will devalue that person.

A narcissist demonstrates a lack of empathy towards others and this causes him to treat others like objects. He does not see others as human beings, but sees them as objects that have no feelings or needs. His sense of entitlement leads to his exploitation of others and this results in little guilt or remorse.

A narcissistic injury occurs when someone defeats or criticizes the narcissistic individual. The narcissist may not show it outwardly, but he is haunted by criticisms and defeats. Therefore, the narcissist does have emotions. The narcissist, however, does not relate to his emotions as others do because he represses his emotions so deeply that they play no conscious role in his behavior. But, these repressed emotions unconsciously play a large part in determining his behavior. When a narcissistic injury occurs, the narcissist begins to feel empty, degraded, and humiliated and he is capable of retaliating with narcissistic rage. His reactions constitute disdain or defiant attacks.

Does this sound like the great man?

I guess you heard the same news story that I did and drew the same conclusion. I did a quick google and came up with www.crescentlife.com/disorders/narcissitic_personality_disorder.htm

Considering the loon in the news story killed both his parents because they popped his bubble of self deceit do you think we all need to be a bit more careful with our posts?

Comment

Yes fiddle. I read the news report and thought, "hang on a minute, that sounds familiar".

Anyhow, he doesn't know where I live. Does he? :rolleyes

Comment

will frequently take credit for work which others have done
        Note to self - treat managment with extreme care

Comment

I found this page on different sorts of personality disorder

Which one are you?

Personality disorders

I was rather suprprised to find I am not any of them. Hey, maybe I could get a new personality disorder named after me.

Comment

When I said I was not any of them, that was my judgement on reading the descriptions. When I did the test, damn. I came out high on

Schizoid
            Schizotypal
            Narcissistic

Not sure how as the characteristics seem rather contradictory.

Comment

Personally, I don't hold much faith in these nice pigeonholed descriptions of various mental states which try to neatly fit the complexity of a human being in to a tidy little catergory.

I have my own niche, and it is unique to me. It sums me up perfectly, and describes all my little foibles and pecadilloes.

If it were to have a name, it would be called "Zobbleist"

There is no one else with Zobbleist tendencies apart from me, which sort of makes me incurable, but at the same time, unique.

Er...that's it really.

Comment

Whereas I am just a coont.

Comment

Blair

Narcissistic sounds very much like a description of most politicians, but in particular Mr Blair, the prime minister.
                  1. Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by self-centeredness.

2. Like histrionic disorder, people with this disorder seek attention and praise.

3. They exaggerate their achievements, expecting others to recongize them as being superior.

4. They tend to be choosy about picking friends, since they believe that not just anyone is worthy of being their friend.

5. They tend to make good first impressions, yet have difficulty maintaining long-lasting relationships.

6. They are generally uninterested in the feelings of others and may take advantage of them.

Comment

Re: Blair

Although he may attempt to impress others with knowledge and decisiveness, a narcissistic person's information base is often limited to trivia. His ideas are seldom original. He chooses to quote whoever he feels at the time is an authority, however, the narcissist's quotations may not be accurate as to what the chosen authority meant. The narcissist makes his own interpretations to best suit his whim. People other than the narcissist may wonder why he picked that individual as an authority since no true validation may exist the individual is an authority.
                    I can think of someone else that applies to....

Comment

Working...
                    X