• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's made their own explosives?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's made their own explosives?

Attempt two at getting a post moved/deleted as quick as possible?...perhaps...

But what the heck, given Captain Jacks mention of good ol' sulphur, charcoal and saltpetre, I thought I'd ask the question "who's made then own explosives?"

In my case it was circa 20+ years ago when I found how simple it was to get the three basic elements mentioned and put them together to create some really 'fun' stuff.

Probably tame when compared with what the yuff of today can do...but I was happy with my little collection of home-made canons, rockets and assorted bombs.

Nice move Joe, I like it. What we're aiming for is just one post with no replies before the move. So I'm afraid you fail on this one.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
      Attempt two at getting a post moved/deleted as quick as possible?...perhaps...

But what the heck, given Captain Jacks mention of good ol' sulphur, charcoal and saltpetre, I thought I'd ask the question "who's made then own explosives?"

In my case it was circa 20+ years ago when I found how simple it was to get the three basic elements mentioned and put them together to create some really 'fun' stuff.

Probably tame when compared with what the yuff of today can do...but I was happy with my little collection of home-made canons, rockets and assorted bombs.
      I've sent them in the post for you to test

Comment

The problem I initially had though, as no doubt any person has with this sort of stuff, is not getting the essential ingredients, but mixing them, combining them to achieve that.....you know, sort of 'weapons grade' quality.

My first experiments with gunpowder, while being quite successful, tended to have the problem of when a rocket took off, or one of my mini explosives went bang, it sort of showered globules of still burning sulphur everywhere.

Comment

Not done much explosive stuff, but once made a flamethrower from a plant sprayer and some paraffin. They didn't have safety in them days!

Comment

You lot should all be arrested under the prevention of terrorism act.

And then beheaded.

Comment

Sodium chlorate & sugar used to be brill. esp with a bit of aluminium powder. I made my own gun once, it used some water pipe and was fired with a bit of nichrome wire from an electric iron element attached to a battery. I understand they have put something in the chlorate now to make it less effective. Life's no fun anymore.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Isn't it fertiliser and sugar? That's what the IRA use. Bonfire night at the IRA must be a good 'un. Though I s'pose they don't celebrate that quite as ardently as we do. If at all.

And nitrogycerine isn't not too hard to make:

"2.2 Comment fabriquer la nitroglycérine
                La fabrication artisanale de la nitroglycérine est relativement simple, mais extrêmement dangereuse. Les seuls produits difficiles à trouver sont l'acide nitrique et l'acide sulfurique. On peut se procurer le reste facilement et à faible coût. Les étapes de fabrication sont aussi très simples, mais doivent être exécutées avec d'extrêmes précautions. Ensuite vient l'entreposage qui exige des conditions optimales sinon la moindre secousse risquerait de faire disparaître l'endroit où la nitroglycérine a été entreposée."

Having done a Google search on various explosive and terms such as "fabrication", I expect I'll be making some new friends soon, and that they will arrive at an unusual time, and won't use the front door in the usual fashion.

At least I'll get to be interviewed on R4.

Fungus

Comment

It's ammonium nitrate fertiliser and diesel oil actually fungus. Dear me, what a crap terrorist you'd make. Did anyone see the news tonight from Nepal?Smashing up and setting fire to a tax office. Yeeeeh!!! Why can't we have a chance to do things like that?

http://www.nodoze.net/explosives.html
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 21 April 2006, 21:26.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Calcium Carbide

This nasty substance was one of our favourites and me and mybrother managed to gethold of some as a local chemist belived our tale of wanting to try our grandpa's old acetylene lamp...

2 litre coke bottle 3/4 filled with water, pop in some calcium carbide and the results were pretty cool. Throwing big storm proof matches at the bottle while it bubbled was a bit mad too.

A local nutter told us of his experiences packing bits of fish with calcium carbide and throwing it up in the air to seagulls and watching them pop in mid air.

I am surprised I still have all of my fingers but like others here the ears are a bit shot away, having 'wars' in the woods and using bird scarers tied to sticks as grenades did some damage.
                    my ferret is your ferret

Comment

Working...
                    X