• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If a neighbour signs for a postage item without your express permission and it goes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a neighbour signs for a postage item without your express permission and it goes

If a neighbour signs for a postage item without your express permission and it goes missing from a communal area in a block of flats who is responsible ? the delivery guy or the neighbour who decided to sign for it ?

Its just that I'm having an expensive Sony laptop delivered to my flat and certainly with Royal Mail I'm sure the downstairs elderly couple have just signed for items in the past.

I guess I could ask them to not sign anything for me for a while but I dunno... what do you think ...?

I've had a similar thing happen before, i.e. neighbour apparently signed for something and left it outside for me to collect. I claimed for the item from the delivery co in the end.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

You ask them to provide a signature. Say 'That is not my signature'. Prove it and then get them to supply you with a new laptop through their negligence. The whole idea is to get the signature of the person it is being delivered to. If they don't it is their fault.

Really pisses me off when they don't bother. It causes so much hassle if you are a small business or ebayer sending stuff.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I had this problem in 2002 with a Russian mail order bride. By the time I tracked her down, 34 blokes in the street had 'signed for her'
        Of course, not knowing any better, she fullfilled her obligations. So I sent her back and I have ordered a Thai, with specific instuctions this time

'Leave out the back, behind the bin'

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Move to live in a place where postman can't miss your mansion OR your neighbours are trustworthy.

Deliver to your place of work.

Failing that if you (or someone at your address) did not sign then it wasn't delivered to your address.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Move to live in a place where postman can't miss your mansion OR your neighbours are trustworthy.

Deliver to your place of work.

Failing that if you (or someone at your address) did not sign then it wasn't delivered to your address.
            That is if you have an address AtW......
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Once had that with some stuff I sold via Ebay. £65 item required a signature. It got signed for. Fella come back saying it wasn't him and so someone in his block of flats must have signed. After a long back and forth, him threatening me with legal action etc I eventually paid out.

(BTW, that last bit's not true I told him he was taking the piss and to take a running jump but thought I'd spice it up)
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                I had this problem in 2002 with a Russian mail order bride. By the time I tracked her down, 34 blokes in the street had 'signed for her'
                Of course, not knowing any better, she fullfilled her obligations. So I sent her back and I have ordered a Thai, with specific instuctions this time

'Leave out the back, behind the bin'

How much did they cost and did they do all the cooking and cleaning?

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                  If a neighbour signs for a postage item without your express permission and it goes missing from a communal area in a block of flats who is responsible ? the delivery guy or the neighbour who decided to sign for it ?
                  Do you mean legally? or morally? in either case why would any sane person ask on here?

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

Its just that I'm having an expensive Sony laptop delivered to my flat and certainly with Royal Mail I'm sure the downstairs elderly couple have just signed for items in the past.

I guess I could ask them to not sign anything for me for a while but I dunno... what do you think ...?
                    So if it goes missing from the communal area and the elderly couple did sign for it - you are going to sue them?

Comment

Working...
                    X