• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any use Lotus Notes?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any use Lotus Notes?

Started at a place that uses Lotus Notes 8.5.

Wow. Just wow. It's like something from the 90s.

Slow as hell. Terrible user interface. Slow. Loads of functionality just not there. Slow. Loads of useless functionality including. Slow.

Did a search on 'speeding up Lotus notes' and found some random blogs blog tips which worked a bit... but nothing from IBM.

Has anyone ever had to use this amazing software?

It's shocking. Client uses it at the moment and the worse thing is when it crashes. It won't restart. You'll need to take out one of the programs running in memory.(Cant remember which off the top of my head), but just so you know. Oh and the calendar. Dont get me started.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Current client using it & occasionally run into it at other sites

Dire, counter-intuitive and as you say like something from the 90s.
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

This lot have a killnotes.exe file to kill the notes process when it hands and refuses to do anything. FFs if you have to have that for a mission critical app is it not a bad sign?

Comment

Used it about 5 years ago. Horrendous, mailboxes seemed to be regularly corrupt, crap interface and generally difficult to work with.

Incidentally, the reseller went to the wall 3 years ago, so maybe word is getting around; "don't touch Lotus Notes with a barge pole".
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
            Started at a place that uses Lotus Notes 8.5.

Wow. Just wow. It's like something from the 90s.
            My Clientco is on 7.0.1
            Gronda Gronda

Comment

I love Notes/Domino, so much more configurable than Outlook and Exchange, but then again I was the domain admin so had carte blanche to do set it up exactly how I wanted it )
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by DieScum View Post
                This lot have a killnotes.exe file to kill the notes process when it hands and refuses to do anything. FFs if you have to have that for a mission critical app is it not a bad sign?
                Same here. You in central London near Regents Park by any chance?

Comment

Finished with Notes in 2008.
                  Was a reasonable platform for app distribution, had quite a few tools that we based in my workspace.

Sametime gone, Notes gone.
                  Communicator in, Outlook in.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Same here. You in central London near Regents Park by any chance?
                    Nah, Sydney.

Comment

Working...
                    X