• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax return for the year before starting contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax return for the year before starting contracting

Ok, got email from my accountant, SJD saying, "The personal tax year finished 6 months ago and our records indicate that we have not received your completed Personal Tax Return Questionnaire. If you would like SJD to prepare your personal tax return please complete our online questionnaire".

At first I really thought this is one of those automated emails sent in error.

1. I started contracting in July 2011.
    2. I was working as perm before; it was like finishing perm job on Friday and start contract on Monday.

Why do I need to file tax return for the previous financial year, when I was getting pay slip and tax was regularly deducted?

Not only a out of blue reminder from SJD but also when asked about this, I got an email saying, "As you appointed us (SJD) in July 2011 our agreement states the first return we would deal with is that due for 5 April 2012 ( April 11/12 tax return). May you also please make the payment of £150 ( £125+vat) at your earliest convenience if you would like SJD to prepare your April 10/11 tax return. The SJD bank details are as follows:"

I am sure lots of other contractors must be in same position like me, what does everyone thinks? Do I need to file tax return and isnt it odd to get unexplained emails like this?

I think you need to ring SJD and speak to them. They are normally very good about stuff.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You probably don't need to file one, give HMRC a call and ask. You'll need your UTR number to hand, or your NI number.

HMRC Contact us

Or call SJD and ask them to check for you.
      ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Originally posted by legal View Post
        Ok, got email from my accountant, SJD saying, "The personal tax year finished 6 months ago and our records indicate that we have not received your completed Personal Tax Return Questionnaire. If you would like SJD to prepare your personal tax return please complete our online questionnaire".

2. I was working as perm before; it was like finishing perm job on Friday and start contract on Monday.

Why do I need to file tax return for the previous financial year, when I was getting pay slip and tax was regularly deducted?

Not only a out of blue reminder from SJD but also when asked about this, I got an email saying, "As you appointed us (SJD) in July 2011 our agreement states the first return we would deal with is that due for 5 April 2012 ( April 11/12 tax return). May you also please make the payment of £150 ( £125+vat) at your earliest convenience if you would like SJD to prepare your April 10/11 tax return. The SJD bank details are as follows:"

I am sure lots of other contractors must be in same position like me, what does everyone thinks? Do I need to file tax return and isnt it odd to get unexplained emails like this?
        It's not actually a tax return, it's meant to allow them to complete your SA with the bits they can't get from your company records. There's another one for the P11D. And yes, they are automated (the one I get for the quarterly PAYE/NICs payment usually turns up over a Saturday night...), but I'd rather get automated reminders than none at all.

As a director you have to do an SA annually regardless. If I read it correctly you are a director in this tax year (2011-12), so you need to do one for this year. Or get an accountant to do it for you. You should not need one for 2010/11 though, but here's an idea - talk to SJD about it and explain. I'm sure they won't mind.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Hi Legal,

Please feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to discuss this with your accountant or get them to contact you.

Agreed you formed your company this tax year but there may be other reasons you need to file a tax return for last.

Alternately please email daniel.moss at sjdaccountacy.com

Thank you
          http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsjdaccountancy View Post
            Hi Legal,

Please feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to discuss this with your accountant or get them to contact you.

Agreed you formed your company this tax year but there may be other reasons you need to file a tax return for last.

Alternately please email daniel.moss at sjdaccountacy.com*

Thank you
            * daniel.moss at sjdaccountancy.com
            http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/dan-moss/18/18/105

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              You probably don't need to file one, give HMRC a call and ask. You'll need your UTR number to hand, or your NI number.

HMRC Contact us

Or call SJD and ask them to check for you.
              Ok, I already called accountant and he said he thinks I will need to file one but if I want to confirm then I should call and check with HMRC...

Comment

Ok, I already called accountant and he said he thinks I will need to file one but if I want to confirm then I should call and check with HMRC...

Just talked to HMRC and I do not need to file tax return for 10/11 because its obvious that I only became director after financial year 10/11...

My issue is don't the accountant know the same and if for some reason they think I need to file than he/she should have a reason...

Comment

Just talked to HMRC and I do not need to file tax return for 10/11 because its obvious that I only became director after financial year 10/11...

My issue is don't the accountant know the same and if for some reason they think I need to file than he/she should have a reason...
                  It's a standard pro forma email for all their clients. Don't think they write to you personally for such routine things do you?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

We know when someone becomes a director, but you may have had other reasons for needing to complete a tax return that SJD were unaware of, if you had a rental property for instance. Your accountant is just ensuring you know that they will do the return for you if necessary, and it results in you checking with HMRC just to be sure which is better than getting a fine for non-filing!
                    ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

Working...
                    X