• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of England abandons part of QE program after traders make bonds too expensive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank of England abandons part of QE program after traders make bonds too expensive

No idea what this is about, but comments suggest some traders got a haircut, while other comments suggest they didn't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...expensive.html

QE to resume later?

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    No idea what this is about, but comments suggest some traders got a haircut, while other comments suggest they didn't.

Bank of England abandons part of QE program after traders make bonds too expensive - Telegraph

QE to resume later?
    Laughing my bollocks off, the Traders are trying to rape "the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street" up the arse and she fought back.

Comment

Good move by the government, hope some traders got burnt by this dodgy manouver.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

I think it's a ruse by the BoE, to switch from buying gilts to directly buying corporate bonds instead. In doing so they fund large companies directly, bypassing the banks.

Comment

High yield

I didn't realise the yield on these bonds was so much. Sounds like a good deal to me. What was it before the traders brought it down?

They must be pricing in a lot of future inflation. Does it mean coupon rather than yield?

Problem with buying corporate bonds instead of gilts is that it doesn't push down government borrowing costs. Though would certainly be good for big businesses.

@TimCaprica

Comment

What this means is that BoE thinks that yield of 8.75% on Govt AAAAAAAA quality bonds isn't good enough to tolerate inflation that will hit us until 2017

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:45.

Comment

Trader sympathy seems to be hovering at about the zero mark in this thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                  This is excellent news! I really hope some traders got badly stung on this. :-)
                  Unlikely - probably tried to sell stuff they don't have at spekulatively high price, if they had got the deal they would have bought same bonds on cheap.

The only loser in this is a taxpayer.

HTH

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:44.

Comment

Working...
                    X