• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green light for UK nuke programme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green light for UK nuke programme

BBC News - Green light for UK nuke programme

Can't get greener than that. Except maybe luminous glow-in-the-dark green.

Brilliant news for the foreign govts and companies that own all our utility companies I'm sure.

Comment

It's a shame the UK can't do something radical and get thorium reactors working and sold worldwide. Fusion is too far off to bother with in sales terms and I'm not convinced it could compete with thorium on cost even if it was made to work.

Sadly it looks as if the Indians will be doing thorium first, and they've got oodles and oodles of thorium.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Brilliant news for the foreign govts and companies that own all our utility companies I'm sure.
        Yep, that's France's banks bailed out.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          It's a shame the UK can't do something radical and get thorium reactors working and sold worldwide. Fusion is too far off to bother with in sales terms and I'm not convinced it could compete with thorium on cost even if it was made to work.

Sadly it looks as if the Indians will be doing thorium first, and they've got oodles and oodles of thorium.
          I've been looking into thorium reactors recently & especially the concept of micro reactors fer me shed...

errr.... it may all be bolloxs and being used as a smokescreen to allow uranium reactors to continue

discuss....
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            BBC News - Green light for UK nuke programme
            Can't get greener than that. Except maybe luminous glow-in-the-dark green.
            My old man used to work for the Nuclear Industry in the UK when the current crop were being designed and built.
            I recall him returning home fuming about a meeting he'd been at where he wanted safeguards against earthquakes/ tremors to be included in the design - IIRC effectively floating the core & containment vessel to allow ground movement - this was vetoed due to the UK not being in an area of seismic activity

Whenever I hear any report that dismisses something that happens somewhere else on the planet as could not happen here or described as "a once in 150 year event" I know safety has been compromised
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
              My old man used to work for the Nuclear Industry in the UK when the current crop were being designed and built.
              I recall him returning home fuming about a meeting he'd been at where he wanted safeguards against earthquakes/ tremors to be included in the design - IIRC effectively floating the core & containment vessel to allow ground movement - this was vetoed due to the UK not being in an area of seismic activity

Whenever I hear any report that dismisses something that happens somewhere else on the planet as could not happen here or described as "a once in 150 year event" I know safety has been compromised
              Thorium reactors are safer theoretically because they go out if left unattended. Rather than boom.

Comment

Working...
              X