• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proof we are in the matrix: Olber's Paradox

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof we are in the matrix: Olber's Paradox

While musing the +/- of solar panels I began to wonder why the universe appears dark if there are so many stars in it.

Looks like I'm not the only one to question this apparent flaw in the matrix logic:

Olbers' paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, which pill is it I should be taking?

[Off to patent a solar panel that generates electricity from redshifted wavelengths. ]
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

well not really.

Olbers paradox is only a paradox if you hold to the steady state universe theory as it is that type of universe that should have stars in al directions

the big bang/inflationary model does not insist that the universe is the same in each direction - as confirmed by the COBE sky map.

Comment

It would be interesting to know what proportion of the area of the sky around us does intersect matter. I thought the Hubble telescope had trouble find empty sky.

I heard an amusing anecdote that they pointed it at an empty piece and in it saw 3000 galaxies. That's galaxies, not stars nor dust.
      Hubble Deep Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Curiously, the first person to suggest the correct resolution of this "paradox" was author Edgar Allen Poe !

linky

... So why is the night sky dark? The first scientifically reasonable answer was given in 1848 by the American poet and writer Edgar Allan Poe! He suggested that the universe is not old enough to fill the sky with light. The universe may be infinite in size, he thought, but there hasn’t been enough time since the universe began for starlight, traveling at the speed of light, to reach us from the farthest reaches of space. ...
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Curiously, the first person to suggest the correct resolution of this "paradox" was author Edgar Allen Poe !

linky
          Yeah but, if I understand correctly, he was wrong. With an expanding universe, the sky can be filled with stars.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Yeah but, if I understand correctly, he was wrong. With an expanding universe, the sky can be filled with stars.
            And the stars that fill the sky would be wherefrom the starlight that hadn't had time to arrive came, making him right.

Unless you believe he was saying that the not-yet-arrived starlight was coming from where stars weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              And the stars that fill the sky would be wherefrom the starlight that hadn't had time to arrive came, making him right.

Unless you believe he was saying that the not-yet-arrived starlight was coming from where stars weren't.
              He didn't know about the big bang but was right in that there are stars whose light will never reach us.

But in an inflationary universe, light is also red shifted, in effect the sky could be filled with stars whose light is dimmed.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                While musing the +/- of solar panels I began to wonder why the universe appears dark if there are so many stars in it.

Looks like I'm not the only one to question this apparent flaw in the matrix logic:

Olbers' paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, which pill is it I should be taking?

[Off to patent a solar panel that generates electricity from redshifted wavelengths. ]
                Professor Brian Cox said once on the beeb that a lot of light in the universe has stretched cos of the big bang and you can't see it, only hear it on the radio.

Or summat like this.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  Professor Brian Cox said once on the beeb that a lot of light in the universe has stretched cos of the big bang and you can't see it, only hear it on the radio.

Or summat like this.
                  So Eddie Grundy is the light of the universe?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    So Eddie Grundy is the light of the universe?
                    No, Chris Moyles.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X