• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Requirements management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requirements management

Day one on this gig from hell I turned to the project manager and said "Well at least we can write the lessons learned document at the start of the project".

I asked ClientCo for 4 workshops. All group sessions. I got told I could not have this as they were too busy. In stead I got hourly 1-2-1 sessions "when they could find the time". I warned them what this would mean. I warned them about the assumptions I would have to make. I warned them about the caveats I would need to write in.

So the func spec has been out for review for a week now. The review comments are piling in.

They have no joint view on how the system should work. So guess what. I need to arrange a series of group workshops to sort this mess out, and rework the document.

I just love projects where everyone just taps the project plan and hops around like a flee on a griddle.

Quality takes time. Rush it you get crap.

And yes, this is a "much cheapness, plenty quickness" project.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

make sure the requirments are signed off and when you deliver, deliver to the requirements

if it aint what they wanted but is what they asked for they will look like idiots .... not you

(well no more than usual!)

but to be honest as a good PM you should be able to read minds and deliver what they want anyway

ot at least be able to persuade them that what you have delviered is what they wanted in the first place they just did not realise it

but have fun

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Amen to that.

Suffering with almost complete lack of documentation here on a large complex project.

Comment

cool just deliver what you want under budget and in time..

they have no scope to speak of so you cannot be called on that measure

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          make sure the requirments are signed off and when you deliver, deliver to the requirements

if it aint what they wanted but is what they asked for they will look like idiots .... not you

(well no more than usual!)

but to be honest as a good PM you should be able to read minds and deliver what they want anyway

ot at least be able to persuade them that what you have delviered is what they wanted in the first place they just did not realise it

but have fun
          The ClientCo won't sign off the spec. There is no formal sign off. Only a review process. They say it makes the supplier share the risk.

Comment

The ClientCo won't sign off the spec. There is no formal sign off. Only a review process. They say it makes the supplier share the risk.
            There you go. The risk is that the clientco wants 5 bespoke systems. The supplier did not notice this when signing off the project. Its not clientco's problem but while its there it definitely is yours.

Assuming you are on a daily rate why does it bother you. You didn't make the decision and cause this mess the PM did so just follow the advice in my Sig (although in your case it probably should readkeep invoicing, chase payments and carry on ),
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Day one on this gig from hell I turned to the project manager and said "Well at least we can write the lessons learned document at the start of the project".

I asked ClientCo for 4 workshops. All group sessions. I got told I could not have this as they were too busy. In stead I got hourly 1-2-1 sessions "when they could find the time". I warned them what this would mean. I warned them about the assumptions I would have to make. I warned them about the caveats I would need to write in.

So the func spec has been out for review for a week now. The review comments are piling in.

They have no joint view on how the system should work. So guess what. I need to arrange a series of group workshops to sort this mess out, and rework the document.

I just love projects where everyone just taps the project plan and hops around like a flee on a griddle.

And yes, this is a "much cheapness, plenty quickness" project.
              Kerching, kerching, kerching.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It seems to me more and more companies are run like this nowadays. IT has moved from a bunch of techie cowboys doing what they want, to having too many managers doing non-roles trying to justify their existence, which results in no decisions being made.

This needs to be rebalanced to somewhere between cowboy and utterly managed

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Kerching, kerching, kerching.
                  Chase chase chase, small kerching, chase chase chase.

Comment

How about the requirement of getting paid....or are you still sucking up the agency BS?

Comment

Working...
                    X