• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wasting contractors time....how do I prosecute?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasting contractors time....how do I prosecute?

Having a great day today.

Early this morning I was pulled on Motorway and accused of having no insurance. Flagged on ANPR.
    Me: It's a courtesy car given by a repairer whilst they sort out my vehicle.
    Copper: It's not registered as having any insurance, have you got any documents.
    Me: It's a courtesy car, I have the hire agreement - there see, and my license.
    All: 15-20 minute interrrogation followed about where the car is being repaired, by who, who I am, where I'm going, a couple of trick questions also, so wolverhampton you say, no I said northampton. It was like they were expecting to find something.
    Copper: OK, but this doesn't tell me that you're insured to drive the car and as the driver you are responsible to ensure you're insured.
    Me: I've never asked for or been given an insurance document when I've hired a vehicle.
    Copper: Don't get lippy son. Ok, I made that up - but it was like that was what he was thinking.

Result: Ticket to produce documents - a complete pain as I've got to get the place repairing my vehicle to provide a copy of their insurance certificate for me to produce to the cop shop when I get back from my week away contracting.

Note: My own insurance only covers me on that vehicle and not any other vehicle.

</whinge_whinge_whinge>

At least they didn't open the boot... They might have ended up in it.

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    Having a great day today.

Early this morning I was pulled on Motorway and accused of having no insurance. Flagged on ANPR.
    Me: It's a courtesy car given by a repairer whilst they sort out my vehicle.
    Copper: It's not registered as having any insurance, have you got any documents.
    Me: It's a courtesy car, I have the hire agreement - there see, and my license.
    All: 15-20 minute interrrogation followed about where the car is being repaired, by who, who I am, where I'm going, a couple of trick questions also, so wolverhampton you say, no I said northampton. It was like they were expecting to find something.
    Copper: OK, but this doesn't tell me that you're insured to drive the car and as the driver you are responsible to ensure you're insured.
    Me: I've never asked for or been given an insurance document when I've hired a vehicle.
    Copper: Don't get lippy son. Ok, I made that up - but it was like that was what he was thinking.

Result: Ticket to produce documents - a complete pain as I've got to get the place repairing my vehicle to provide a copy of their insurance certificate for me to produce to the cop shop when I get back from my week away contracting.

Note: My own insurance only covers me on that vehicle and not any other vehicle.

</whinge_whinge_whinge>

At least they didn't open the boot... They might have ended up in it.
    You'd better hope it's insured, or it's £200 fine and 6 points for you, sonny.

Comment

Are you sure? Every insurance policy I've ever had covered me to drive another car with the owners consent. I've never asked for it, AFAIK it's a standard thing, so check the small print.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Are you sure? Every insurance policy I've ever had covered me to drive another car with the owners consent. I've never asked for it, AFAIK it's a standard thing, so check the small print.
        I had to insure a courtesy car a while back, it wasn't automatic.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It excludes hire cars, also the law has changed, the car has to be insured as well as the driver.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            It excludes hire cars, also the law has changed, the car has to be insured as well as the driver.
            Oh dear(TM)

6 Points.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

This was being abused - people were getting full comp insurance on a banger - and then driving a sports car (i.e. their real car) 3rd party - as this was significantly cheaper than getting 3rd party insurance on the sports car in the first place.

Comment

You're probably fine, but if their insurance is not pukka - you're the one that gets the points & fine, not them.

Comment

Tell the magistrate to use lubricant first.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                    You're probably fine, but if their insurance is not pukka - you're the one that gets the points & fine, not them.
                    CT may be able to argue down from 6 points with some mitigating circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                    X