• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Birmingham given AAA credit rating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birmingham given AAA credit rating

Moody’s gave the council a AAA rating, while Standard & Poors’ awarded it a AA+, with a stable outlook – a more positive rating than enjoyed by the United States Federal government.

The agencies said the ratings reflected the council’s track record of managing its finances as well as the Government’s willingness to remain a lender of last resort.

Mike Whitby, leader of the council, said the ratings would help the city to finance its existing services and attract infrastructure investment from overseas sovereign wealth funds.

“We may now not need to borrow from the Government as we have major banks potentially ready to loan to us at rates more competitive than the Government,” he said. “I don’t think we are looking to borrow a considerable amount of money in the near future but it gives us the option.”

Local authorities have sought credit ratings following the Treasury’s decision last autumn to charge more for loans from the Public Works Loan Board (PWLB).

Source: Birmingham given AAA credit rating - Telegraph

That should be enough to build HS3 line to allow all Londoners commute to Bham

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Travellen frum London ter Burminum ood be loike jumpen frum the fryen pan into anover stinken fryen pan wouldn't it? Be'ah ter get off half woy surely? Or be'ah yet yed west.

Comment

Moody’s gave the council a AAA rating, while Standard & Poors’ awarded it a AA+, with a stable outlook – a more positive rating than enjoyed by the United States Federal government.

The agencies said the ratings reflected the council’s track record of managing its finances as well as the Government’s willingness to remain a lender of last resort.

Mike Whitby, leader of the council, said the ratings would help the city to finance its existing services and attract infrastructure investment from overseas sovereign wealth funds.

“We may now not need to borrow from the Government as we have major banks potentially ready to loan to us at rates more competitive than the Government,” he said. “I don’t think we are looking to borrow a considerable amount of money in the near future but it gives us the option.”

Local authorities have sought credit ratings following the Treasury’s decision last autumn to charge more for loans from the Public Works Loan Board (PWLB).

Source: Birmingham given AAA credit rating - Telegraph

I fink that's really crackin fer the city, an' miss diane thinks it's bostin too i doy fink we want a lot of londoners comen eya so the noo rail link bai a bostin idae.

Comment

Birmingham is tulip. Leicester, that's the jewel of the Midlands

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          Birmingham is tulip. Leicester, that's the jewel of the Midlands
          As a training exercise I was part of a team of Marines who broke into Leicester Prison Leicester (HM Prison) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            As a training exercise I was part of a team of Marines who broke into Leicester Prison Leicester (HM Prison) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            They should have locked you in there to see if you can break out

Comment

They should have locked you in there to see if you can break out
              Heaven forfend. I'd use Corporal Bhoy's tactic of sitting pretty and waiting to be rescued.

Comment

Working...
              X