• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Protectionism - Let the currency war begin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protectionism - Let the currency war begin

BBC News - US Senate passes bill to pressure China on yuan

The US Senate has voted through a bill which aims to punish China for keeping its currency artificially undervalued.

Some lawmakers argue that the value of the Chinese yuan gives goods from the country an unfair advantage and costs American jobs.

The bill is designed to put pressure on countries the US says are keeping their currencies deliberately undervalued.

So UK next?

Doesn't China hold a lot of USA debt that may be underwritten with assets, so could come back at them with a nice sucker punch by calling in the debt?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    BBC News - US Senate passes bill to pressure China on yuan

So UK next?

Doesn't China hold a lot of USA debt that may be underwritten with assets, so could come back at them with a nice sucker punch by calling in the debt?
    Couldn't they then just print the money and say here you go, devaluing their debt (no name calling, I'm not an economist)?

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
      Couldn't they then just print the money and say here you go, devaluing their debt (no name calling, I'm not an economist)?

Dunno. Could be the start of WWIII though if either holds enough leverage over the other to kick it off.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        Dunno. Could be the start of WWIII though if either holds enough leverage over the other to kick it off.
        The world today has no appetite for global conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Agreed.
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Maybe not, but it only takes 1 nation doesnt it? What if China or Russia or the US felt threatened? What if Israel decides one of the Arab nations is enough of a threat?

I dont believe many had an appetite for the last 2 either, but they had to join in.
            Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
              Maybe not, but it only takes 1 nation doesnt it? What if China or Russia or the US felt threatened? What if Israel decides one of the Arab nations is enough of a threat?

I dont believe many had an appetite for the last 2 either, but they had to join in.
              No it doesn't "only take 1 nation".

Comment

I am starting to think Iran is going to kick off soon, and let's not start on Pakistan.

Comment

OK, it takes 2, I assume you mean another would have to react. I can not imagine the US doing nothing if China started lobbing nukes at it though.
                  Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I'd certainly agree that rich societies and the 'getting rich quickly' societies have no appetite for this kind of global conflict, simply because people rather like their comfy lifestyles and will not take kindly to politicians making such a mess that those comfy lifestyles are ruined by some war.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X