• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Green taxes to drive households into Fuel Poverty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green taxes to drive households into Fuel Poverty

Green taxes could force one in four into fuel poverty | Mail Online

However a necessary sacrifice in light of the compelling evidence for man made global warming.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Green taxes could force one in four into fuel poverty | Mail Online

However a necessary sacrifice in light of the compelling evidence for man made global warming.
    Which even if it exists is tiny and swamped by natural cooling, making the situation of fuel poverty life threatening.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Which even if it exists is tiny and swamped by natural cooling, making the situation of fuel poverty life threatening.

I am still wondering why people are so into Solar power, in this country, as the more you think about it, pushing wind power, wave power forward would seem the way to go if the weather's going to go tits up

Comment

There's a bloke in our street who got solar panels. There are also a few tall trees next to his house where zillions of birds roost. Of course the birds have sh 1t all over his solar panels and I doubt that he gets more lekky than a pickled onion with two copper wires sticking out of it

It would probbly be worser if some evil neighbour starts firing bread crumbs onto his roof

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Zoiderman View Post
          I am still wondering why people are so into Solar power, in this country, as the more you think about it, pushing wind power, wave power forward would seem the way to go if the weather's going to go tits up
          You cannot rely on the grids any more to supply affordable & if they go the wind power route dependable electricity.

So your only option is to detach from the Grid and generate your own supply- until we get micro thorium reactors available or hydrogen from water crackers for your backyard- the only viable solutions is a mix of solar for power & heating and micro wind turbine if the wind actually blows
          I don't live by the sea so wave power is not an option - although if I find one for sale locally I may consider a watermill
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            You cannot rely on the grids any more to supply affordable & if they go the wind power route dependable electricity.

So your only option is to detach from the Grid and generate your own supply- until we get micro thorium reactors available or hydrogen from water crackers for your backyard- the only viable solutions is a mix of solar for power & heating and micro wind turbine if the wind actually blows
            I don't live by the sea so wave power is not an option - although if I find one for sale locally I may consider a watermill

We've been looking for an old Barn with some land, and a stream running through it, near the coast, for a while now. As you can imagine, it's not proving that easy. I mentioned a book earlier, and I think the consensus is, not using one, or two, but using as many renewable options as you can.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              The first series of "It's not easy being green" with the marvellously moustachioed one illustrated this rather well, though I doubt that his water wheel was stunningly efficient.
              Ironically, his water wheel was one of the most efficient devices which actually powered all of his lights in his house. He's selling up now for about 800k, cheeky bastard.

Comment

Microhydro is much more sensible than all those fecking useless windmills.

Indeed. Why no-one has come up with a system to generate electricity from gutter downpipes is a mystery to me, considering all the rainfall we get.

It should be possible to have many sequential mini-waterwheels in the downpipe as gravity ensures the water gains energy after each wheel so more to harvest.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  There are also a few tall trees next to his house where zillions of birds roost.

Sounds like he'd be better off getting rid of the solar panels and putting up a system where electricity is generated from the mechanical energy of birds landing on spring loaded panels.

Has the added bonus of the spring recoil punting the birds off the roof freeing up space for the next ones coming in to land.

[Off to patent a bird table leccy generator that also stops fat birds from eating all the food. ]
                  Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

I think the downpipe idea is nanohydro rather than microhydro, which is, in essence, a waterwheel in a stream.

Is it not a good idea then?
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X