• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Introduction + nice Trichet quote

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction + nice Trichet quote

Hello,

I've been posting for a week or so but haven't really introduced myself so thought I should.

I've recently set up an online accounting business <mod snip - Nonononononono NO BLATANT ADVERTISING!> I'm in the directory of accountants on here). I used to work at Ernst & Young, where I qualified as a Chartered Accountant and did lots of M&A work, but decided I want to be self-employed so set up Caprica Online. I give all subscribers a license for KashFlow and charge between £55 and £70 a month. The main thing I can say to differentiate myself from the free advice orgy on accounting/legal is that I am new and don't yet have many clients so can devote lots of time to the clients I do have. I decided accounting/legal forum just seems a race amongst the accountants to give advice as quick as possible so thought I would hang around here instead and get to know you all.

That's the sales pitch over and I will behave now.

Mostly I seem to be commenting on the forthcoming financial armageddon so here is a nice quote I saw on FT Alphaville from JC Trichet.

Q - You have had to take harsh criticism of your crisis management from Germany. How disappointing is that for you?
    A - That reminds me of a Goethe quote: “ Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him.” The ECB must accept the criticism. The only thing that matters is that we are faithful to our primary mandate and take our decisions fully independently.
    @TimCaprica

Do you like films about gladiators?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Have you bled your radiators?
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Do you like films about gladiators?
        Perhaps this is an in-joke of some sort. Spartacus?

If we are talking about Russel Crowe films about gladiators then I really dislike films about gladiators and any film that is more than 1 hour 40 without a very good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Yes. I find it immensely satisfying.

Comment

Originally posted by TimCaprica View Post
            Perhaps this is an in-joke of some sort. Spartacus?

If we are talking about Russel Crowe films about gladiators then I really dislike films about gladiators and any film that is more than 1 hour 40 without a very good reason.
            Its a reference to Police Squad/Naked Gun/Airplane
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

have you ever licked the chutney spoon and them put it back?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                The one in my bathroom has stopped working, even when I bleed it. Any advice?
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Replace it with a newer model.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Change the specification document to remove any hint that the radiator shuold emit heat, then re-release. Voila, the decorative, metalic towel hanger is no longer broken
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X