• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been to Greece?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been to Greece?

Never been but contract finishes next week and l was planning to fly out somewhere for a week on my own.

Where would be a good place/backpack trip to
    take?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Athens is a riot?

Closest I got is Corfu I think, and 6 people drowned.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Never been but contract finishes next week and l was planning to fly out somewhere for a week on my own.

take?
      I did a fantastic backpacking trip a few years ago across Sicily. I backpacked my way round. Would definitely recommend it if you like great country side, great buildings, great food and great looking women. Nobody speaks English though so you have to learn basic Italian to get by. You can get a train right round the coast. That's what I did - got on and off in various places. One of the best trips i've done.

Comment

take?
        Really depends what you're after?

Do you want a little britain with sunshine? Or a secluded, authentic village greek experience? A city break absorbing all the culture? Sun, sand and sea away from crowded tourist hotspots?

Comment

Try the Peloponnese. Mrs OG and I went there several years ago. Great empty beaches and plenty of ancient sites to see (e.g. Olympia). Not sure where the weather is best this time of year though.

"Oh I've been to Nice
          And the Isle of Greece
          While I sipped champagne on a yacht
          I moved liked Harlow in Monte Carlo
          And showed 'em what I've got
          I've been undressed by kings
          And I've seen some things
          That a women ain't supposed to see
          I've been to paradise
          But I've never been to me"

HTH

Comment

I have been to a few of the islands and they are very nice but I find them a bit boring after a while, when I have been there the Greeks seem to always be asleep, no wonder they are in a mess.
            "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

I've sailed around the Aegean islands on 2 week flotilla holiday, done Rhodes and a few days in Athens.

Love the place but not been for maybe 10 years other than Cyprus (if that counts?), love the food, weather and general aversion to anything strenuous.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Try the Peloponnese.
                Good call. I backbacked round there with a former gf around 15 years ago. Pilos was very nice, with a castle, gorgeous bay and debris from the Battle of Navarino still visible. Small place but nice restaurants in the town square and just a few German tourists. We rented a little house overlooking the bay when we arrived.

Comment

take?

mid life crisis ?

you need to buy a Passat

Milan.

Comment

take?
                    Do the Pennine Way.

Comment

Working...
                    X