• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Agencies that are good and ones to avoid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agencies that are good and ones to avoid

Hi all,

Nelly Newbie here (just registered..first posting)

I am about to contact a few agencies (obviously I don't want to contact ALL of them)

Can anyone name a few good ones or ones to avoid?

much apreciated.

The good one is the one that has the contract you want.

If you do a search of the forum you'll find plenty of people naming agencies that have upset them in some way.

Comment

What is a good agency to one contractor (MSB for me) will most likely be the black death of agencies to other contractors.

Regards

Mailman

Comment

Don't bother blanketing your CV off to agencies. Register on CW Jobs, Jobserve and Jobsite and reply to any ads that catch your eye.

Edit - I agree with Mailman, I wouldn't touch MSB with a tulipty stick. But if they have the contract you want at the rate you want, and pay on time, you can't ask for much more.
        Last edited by Mordac; 24 April 2006, 09:27.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I will do exactly that.

another quick question if I may...

when a job is advertised as £200 per day (or whatever it is)
          does that usually mean that any travel costs incurred would have to be negotiated or would they expect to pay "reasonable" travel costs?

thanks

Comment

Remember, it isn't a "job", you're an independent businessman touting for contracts now. What is or isn't included is entirely down to your personal negotiating skills, but generally it's best to include all costs in your quoted rate. After all, don't you just hate it if a builder quotes you £200/day to do a job and then later says, "oh I want £50/day travelling expenses as well"?
            Last edited by Emperor Dalek; 24 April 2006, 09:36.

Comment

The rate would not include travel costs, unless you are travelling to another site. If it's going to cost you £50 a night to stay in a hotel, factor this into your rate negotiation.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Either im still dreaming (and it doesn't usually include the CUK forum) or you guys are being extra helpful to newbies on this bright and sunny monday morning..

I can see this week is gonna be a good week..

chef in 'soon to be beer garden happy' mode
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Thanks again.

Comment

don't listen to Mordac

he knows jack and is considered the idiot around here

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X