PDA

View Full Version : So long & thanks for all the nice UHF channels we can sell to some mug or other

zeitghost
14th October 2011, 08:17
Analogue TV era to end next October - Yahoo! (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/analogue-tv-era-end-next-october-070846676.html)

Bye bye analogue tv.

405 lasted from 1936 to 1984.

625 lasted from about 1964 to 2012 (or 2010 around here).

Already SD channels are disappearing from the Murdoch sats.

When they've all gone it'll be bye bye 625 altogether.

By some odd coincidence I found a copy of John Logie Baird's autobiog in a charity shoppe the other week.

Churchill
14th October 2011, 08:19
Bye bye analogue tv.

When they've all gone it'll be bye bye 625 altogether.

By some odd coincidence I found a copy of John Logie Baird's autobiog in a charity shoppe the other week.

And HELLO "LTE"!!! :banana:

Re : JLB, one of Helensburgh's finest exports.

scooterscot
14th October 2011, 08:31
It occurs to me is we broadcast 5 quality channels instead of 500 channels of crap, UHF could be used for HD broadcasts no problem.

Churchill
14th October 2011, 08:33
It occurs to me is we broadcast 5 quality channels instead of 500 channels of crap, UHF could be used for HD broadcasts no problem.

Yep, but you've not quite got the grasp of the "Flog the UHF bands to the mobile operators and charge 'em a fortune" bit, have you?

TimberWolf
14th October 2011, 08:42
I expect the digital to analogue converters will be around for a while yet, so that old 625 analogue TV doesn't need to be binned just yet.

scooterscot
14th October 2011, 09:21
Yep, but you've not quite got the grasp of the "Flog the UHF bands to the mobile operators and charge 'em a fortune" bit, have you?

Well I was referring to the channels used by television broadcasts, why would mobile operators use that?

Churchill
14th October 2011, 09:39
Well I was referring to the channels used by television broadcasts, why would mobile operators use that?

Does someone want to inform Scooterscot what the freed up UHF bands are going to be used for?