• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temperamental people

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperamental people

Have you ever had a feeling when working with someone that you have to expend a large amount of effort managing that person's temper, weighing and assessing every word before you speak, simply to maintain a workable atmosphere in the room?

We've got one here, and unfortunately, seeing as he's the tech PM, I can't fire him, and I seem to be the only person with the interpersonal skills to prevent him flying off the handle every ten minutes; I also have to stand between him and my testers who feel somewhat intimidated by him. Now I guess I'm cut out for doing precisely that, seeing as I'm not very small or weedy, but it can get rather tiresome.

Why do companies employ people who seem to be so permanently on edge and stressed?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

F..KUCK OFF!
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Have you ever had a feeling when working with someone that you have to expend a large amount of effort managing that person's temper, weighing and assessing every word before you speak, simply to maintain a workable atmosphere in the room?

We've got one here, and unfortunately, seeing as he's the tech PM, I can't fire him, and I seem to be the only person with the interpersonal skills to prevent him flying off the handle every ten minutes; I also have to stand between him and my testers who feel somewhat intimidated by him. Now I guess I'm cut out for doing precisely that, seeing as I'm not very small or weedy, but it can get rather tiresome.

Why do companies employ people who seem to be so permanently on edge and stressed?
      Take him for a beer, get him pissed, find out what the real problem is, then throw the f*cker under a tram.

I can't stand people like that.

Comment

He is old school management, gets stuff done, not scared bollock someone. Like Sir Alex Ferguson.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Anyway, yeah, we have a woman like that here - she's a nightmare. Constantly stomping around, scowling. Very masculine and aggressive, forever slamming tables and gobbing off.

(No, it's not me)
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Take him for a beer, get him pissed, find out what the real problem is, then throw the f*cker under a tram.

I can't stand people like that.
            Good idea.

He just loses it over the slightest little issues, seems to feel personally attacked if a tester raises a finding and then starts blaming the acceptance testers for bugs that weren't found by his own gang of system testing bobs.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
              Anyway, yeah, we have a woman like that here - she's a nightmare. Constantly stomping around, scowling. Very masculine and aggressive, forever slamming tables and gobbing off.

(No, it's not me)
              I miss SallyAnne
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

(No, it's not me)
                There's only one way to handle that and in your case it will involve a strap-on at the next meeting to sort the bitch out!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  There's only one way to handle that and in your case it will involve a strap-on at the next meeting to sort the bitch out!
                  <shudder>
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

<shudder>
                    Well if you haven't got the balls for it...

Comment

Working...
                    X