• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not what I expected

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not what I expected

Been 2.5 weeks at ClientCo.

So far...

Job's reasonable - interesting without being stressful
    People are pleasant - no irritating feckers. Haven't noticed a flatulence problem.
    Client flexible - no unreasonable demands or expectations
    Pleasant commute - 10 mins in the car, or half an hour through the woods by bike
    Nice offices - lovely view, and nice walks at lunchtime
    Free tea/coffee.
    On site canteen
    Paid on time.
    Agent didn't even ask for references.

None of this matches my expectations of contracting from reading these boards. Where have I gone wrong?

Honeymoon period.

Give it another month. Clothes on the floor, bad toilet habits, flatulence, scratching your crotch and sniffing your fingers at the lunch table!!!!

You're bound to piss them off eventually.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Honeymoon period.

Give it another month. Clothes on the floor, bad toilet habits, flatulence, scratching your crotch and sniffing your fingers at the lunch table!!!!

You're bound to piss them off eventually.
      WHS, you get your good ones, you get your bad ones. Thank you lucky stars for the good ones and grin and bear every miserable day in the good ones.

They don't mention the good ones on here much as they are boring to talk about.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

V. good. You must spread some around, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post

So far...

People are pleasant - no irritating feckers. Haven't noticed a flatulence problem.
          Pleasant commute - 10 mins in the car, or half an hour through the woods by bike
          Free tea/coffee.
          On site canteen
          Paid on time.

None of this matches my expectations of contracting from reading these boards. Where have I gone wrong?
          Free tea / coffee is great. My first gig, it was five minute round trip to get tea and coffee. I used to go 4 times a day, getting drinks for everyone, making £25 in the process - I was clenaing out my car the other day and found the 'Tea Bitch' badge they commissioned for me.

Have fun while you can - I currently have your counter-contract, and I will be requesting a swap soon from the Life Fairy. 7 weeks in and not sure how I'm going to make it to 6 months.

Comment

They're just lulling you into a false sense of security. They're just softening you up. After a few months, they'll offer you a permie role.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Have fun while you can - I currently have your counter-contract, and I will be requesting a swap soon from the Life Fairy. 7 weeks in and not sure how I'm going to make it to 6 months.
              I'm putting my swap request in first!
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Job's unreasonable - dull and stressful
                People are pleasant - apart from middle managment jobsworths
                Client flexible (ish) - no unreasonable demands, but no reasonable ones either
                Pleasant commute - half hour by train and bus so can't complain (better than 4 hours every day to London)
                Nice offices - ok view, and no nice walks at lunchtime, lots of office buildings with nowt around
                Free tea/coffee. - which taste awful
                On site canteen - with a limited selection of very bad food, and no shops nearby to go to should the selection be even more limited than usual or that they have run out of stuff halfway through lunch.
                Paid late
                Agent didn't even ask for references but the referencing company required all my qualifications, 3 references signed by my previous employers, a copy of my passport and a CRB check.

"Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

So far...

Free tea/coffee.
                  On site canteen
                  Paid on time.

Don't pinch yourself.

Comment

So far...

Free tea/coffee.
                    On site canteen
                    Paid on time.

You're not in Kansas now, Toto!

Comment

Working...
                    X