• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kitting out a home office for work... where to start!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitting out a home office for work... where to start!

So, I'm going to be redesigning my room into an office to help me deal with the added work of running a company and carrying out my work on days I'm working from home; looking to pretty much make my room the office with a bed in the corner. Anyone know any places to shop that stock both technology as well as decent furniture (chair, desk, vesa mounts, lamps, etc), as well as technology (laptop, speakers, keyboard, printer, scanner, the storage).

I'm on the FRS for VAT and I'm anticipating the total bill > £2500 (£500 more than the £2000 threshold where VAT becomes reclaimable), so would be good to get this on 1 invoice and help me out on the cashflow side of things as I'll be able to claim back the VAT on the investment in assets.

I'm an IT contractor, so I have on my list the following items to purchase:
    - Printer/Scanner
    - Notebook/Laptop, probably the former
    - Speakers (do I need to justify the business-need for speakers??)
    - Desk
    - Peripherals (mouse, keyboard, backup storage)
    - Chair
    - Desk lamp
    - Kindle (for reading books related to IT/work-related PDF's)

Anyone have any other suggestions, not sure if I'm missing some obvious items off the list that'll be useful a few months down the line (i.e. some packs of paper would be good as I'll be printing a lot, and perhaps some toner)?

Thanks all!
    Last edited by odm; 17 October 2011, 00:29.

Staples?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by odm View Post
      - Speakers (do I need to justify the business-need for speakers??)
      Get a microphone and a skype account as well. Speakers are generally quite handy when using skype.

Not sure if getting it all on one invoice will help on the VAT side of things. AFAIK the threshold is for individual items, not a single invoice.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Not sure if getting it all on one invoice will help on the VAT side of things. AFAIK the threshold is for individual items, not a single invoice.
        This should be moved to a serious forum, but I think you are incorrect for FRS purposes - you can buy a laptop+printer for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
          Get a microphone and a skype account as well. Speakers are generally quite handy when using skype.

It's single invoice value on Flat rate

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Staples?
            I bought a couple of their office chairs over the years and they break within a year or two.
            (and no I didn't eat all the pies)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              This should be moved to a serious forum, but I think you are incorrect for FRS purposes - you can buy a laptop+printer for instance.
              I stand corrected:

HM Revenue & Customs: Flat Rate Scheme for VAT
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by odm View Post
                Anyone have any other suggestions, not sure if I'm missing some obvious items off the list that'll be useful a few months down the line (i.e. some packs of paper would be good as I'll be printing a lot, and perhaps some toner)?
                Just looking around my office....

Toner. If you are getting a laser printer, then possibly a photoconductor unit (depends on life of the unit and price). Also some have a box that collects the old toner, so get a spare one while you remember - it will fill up just when you need it most.

Filing cabinet.

Bookcase / shelves.

Backup device / external hard drive / Drobo / NAS. Couple of pocket USB drives.

Switch / router and network cables.

Shredder.

Blank media - CD/DVD

If you are only getting a laptop, get a monitor and docking station or a decent laptop stand, so you aren't hunched over all the time.

Notepads / hard-backed books.

Only spend what you need - it's a false economy to waste money just to get over the threshold. He says looking at the 6TB NAS drive and the 5TB Drobo and the 1.5TB external hard drive and the 2x 500GB pocket USB drives sitting on the desk.....
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

1. Make sure you have a room to use as an office, and empty it, sheds don't count.
                  2. Ebay
                  2 nearly new super comfy Aeron chairs. Fast Mirra
                  2 desks
                  1 filing cabinet
                  3. Computer
                  1 super fast desktop and appropriate monitor for invoicing and word.

Sorted.

As other have mentioned, Printer, NAS, Shredder, Wireless router.

Aeron are expensive but mine cost me 40% of RRP and were only a couple of months old. Worth it if you're sat there for ages, which you should be.
                  Last edited by Scrag Meister; 17 October 2011, 10:31.
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                    I bought a couple of their office chairs over the years and they break within a year or two.
                    (and no I didn't eat all the pies)
                    Tesco? Finding one place to sell all this stuff, you need an office supplier which limits your options. Another is Office Supplies, Stationery and Furniture from Viking.

Comment

Working...
                    X