• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom and gloom...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom and gloom...

Evening all,
    Read a few depressing threads today re: global calamity and meltdown, contractors on the bench etc and have a slightly different take on things. Already been through this many times since around 2008ish. I had alot of NHS contracts that dryed up but you just move on and find other markets. We all have different approaches and I always start looking for another contract 5-6 weeks before current contract is due to expire to minimize time on the bench (if you secure another contract whilst in one that increases bargining power with existing client) - a slightly rough tactic but contacting isn't for the faint hearted. Anyway, if these predictions do materilize the perms will be culled and when a business critical requirement rears it's head shortly afterwards, who will be hired to clean up the mess?...Contractors...hopefully...

We don't like doom and gloom on this board. The vast majority here are upbeat fellows who laugh in the face of Climate Change, economic collapse, rising or falling house prices and punitive, left wing taxation.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by keninparis View Post
      I always start looking for another contract 5-6 weeks before current contract is due to expire to minimize time on the bench
      Of course nobody ever ended up on the bench using this method.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        Of course nobody ever ended up on the bench using this method.
        As a new member, just suprised by the level of negativity of some the posts. My work is niche, so the approach works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by keninparis View Post
          As a new member, just suprised by the level of negativity of some the posts. My work is niche, so the approach works for me.
          Greece will default by the end of the month will which in turn lead to a banking collapse which will push inflation higher by way of another round of QE, which in turn will lead to epic unemployment which in turn will lead to keninparis posting more glib-isms on here, which in turn will lead to more rib tickling posts from DimPrawn which in turn will lead to more bun fights on here

So not all bad then
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            Greece will default by the end of the month will which in turn lead to a banking collapse which will push inflation higher by way of another round of QE, which in turn will lead to epic unemployment which in turn will lead to keninparis posting more glib-isms on here, which in turn will lead to more rib tickling posts from DimPrawn which in turn will lead to more bun fights on here

So not all bad then
            It's job creation, innit?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              It's bob creation, innit?
              FTFY
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

So not all bad then
                But no contractors will be on the bench, provided they start looking for new contracts 5-6 weeks before the end of their current one, and they work in a "niche" area.

keninparis
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Anyone else been to the US lately? What did you think about price of stuff?

Been to the US fairly consistently the past few years. On this trip the differences are noticeable. Even though Euro / Sterling exchange rates with the dollar such as they are, the price of stuff in general in the US has certainly increased from what I remember. Found the US to be quite expensive now, eating out $70-80, no where that posh but that's a lot for one.

Was talking with an IT guy on the flight into Vegas, 'we don't have inflation he said' Say what... What's he on I thought.

Been looking now and again at this armani scarf I saw in Munich, €350 - saw the exact same scarf in San Fran for $950!

So if you think you'll go to the US for some bargains think again. iPad is only $300 though, very tempted.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

In a way, these were some of the kind of comments I expected. In a recent survey (from a highly respected source) it highlights IT professionals, whilst very technically able, in general haven’t progressed their ‘soft skills’ and communication abilities (e.g. read a thread properly). The fact is on average it takes me around 1 month to secure a contract, I’ve never broken a contract and delivered in every single contract. Please have respect – everyone is different.
                    Kind Regards.

Comment

Working...
                    X