• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone else been to the US lately? What did you think about price of stuff?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else been to the US lately? What did you think about price of stuff?

Been to the US fairly consistently the past few years. On this trip the differences are noticeable. Even though Euro / Sterling exchange rates with the dollar such as they are, the price of stuff in general in the US has certainly increased from what I remember. Found the US to be quite expensive now, eating out $70-80, no where that posh but that's a lot for one.

Was talking with an IT guy on the flight into Vegas, 'we don't have inflation he said' Say what... What's he on I thought.

Been looking now and again at this armani scarf I saw in Munich, €350 - saw the exact same scarf in San Fran for $950!

So if you think you'll go to the US for some bargains think again. iPad is only $300 though, very tempted.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

What's the hotel like?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Supposed family man goes on holiday alone to a city noted for its gay population. Pretty obvious what's going on.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Supposed family man goes on holiday alone to a city noted for its gay population. Pretty obvious what's going on.
        That's only like MF "going Greek"...

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        What's the hotel like?
        Apparently the pillows are nice and soft...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Apparently the pillows are nice and bitable...
          FTFY
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Is that why they put a little mint on them?

Comment

I experienced a deja vu moment when I opened the thread.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I experienced a deja vu moment when I opened the thread.
                What? Again?

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Been to the US fairly consistently the past few years. On this trip the differences are noticeable. Even though Euro / Sterling exchange rates with the dollar such as they are, the price of stuff in general in the US has certainly increased from what I remember. Found the US to be quite expensive now, eating out $70-80, no where that posh but that's a lot for one.

Was talking with an IT guy on the flight into Vegas, 'we don't have inflation he said' Say what... What's he on I thought.

Been looking now and again at this armani scarf I saw in Munich, €350 - saw the exact same scarf in San Fran for $950!

So if you think you'll go to the US for some bargains think again. iPad is only $300 though, very tempted.
                  Just come back from Florida. WDW and all that.

Disney itself has turned into a complete rip-off these days. Very expensive. $35 for a crap Disney t-shirt, $40 for a crap buffet in Disney restaurant.

Also, some of the stuff in the shops outside equates to same price once converted to pounds. (As I kept telling the Mrs - theres no point buying stuff if it costs the same back home and you got the hassle of lugging it home in the suitcase!)
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Just come back from Florida. WDW and all that.

Disney itself has turned into a complete rip-off these days. Very expensive. $35 for a crap Disney t-shirt, $40 for a crap buffet in Disney restaurant.

Also, some of the stuff in the shops outside equates to same price once converted to pounds. (As I kept telling the Mrs - theres no point buying stuff if it costs the same back home and you got the hassle of lugging it home in the suitcase!)
                    I bet your kids really love going on holiday with you!

Comment

Working...
                    X