• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh dear: Belgium is on the march again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear: Belgium is on the march again...

Not quite sure what this says about Belgium...it's a very safe country where this sort of thing almost never happens?...the Belgians don't have the greatest confidence in their police to do anything?...they're a naive bunch?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4936990.stm

...still, can't remember the last time there were 80,000 people marching in the UK because of someone being mugged for an iPod/Nokia and it ending like this.

Originally posted by Joe Black
    Not quite sure what this says about Belgium...it's a very safe country where this sort of thing almost never happens?...the Belgians don't have the greatest confidence in their police to do anything?...they're a naive bunch?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4936990.stm

...still, can't remember the last time there were 80,000 people marching in the UK because of someone being mugged for an iPod/Nokia and it ending like this.
    Brussels aint that safe. I worked there for a year. 4 guys from our company were mugged in that period, 1 at knife point, 1 in a dodgy taxi, 1 in the entrance hall to his flat and one on a crowded tram.
    Funny but all said the guys were Turks or Turkish in appearance.
    Yours truly had his flat turned over too.

Dont hang around Ansbach and the Bourse looking for a cab and dont go anywhere near Midi after dark.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

One viable alternative might be to live in a nice area.

F in '1050' mode
      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Hmm, doesn't help much though if you happen to be the unfortunate sod who's day it happens to be while catching/changing a train in one of those stations.

Agree with LG, can't say I've found the area round Midi to be particularly welcoming when I arrived on a late train on a couple of occasions, especially wandering about looking for a cash machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
          One viable alternative might be to live in a nice area.

F in '1050' mode
          My flat that got turned over was just off Ambiorix and if you are going "into town" its a bit difficult to avoid the mugging areas, O'reilys and the Corbeau being on the route.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

"Into town" pour moi is Avenue Louise.

We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Having lived in Brussels for over a year and walked in all areas of the city at all hours I have encountered no trouble whatsoever.

One night somebody wanted to buy my precious Hat and offered myself 45 Euros , I turned his offer down and gave him a ciggie , he laughed and walked away.

Compared to UK cities you are very safe in Brussels.

Hate nothing except Hatred

Comment

Never lived in a safer feeling city...

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                My flat that got turned over was just off Ambiorix and if you are going "into town" its a bit difficult to avoid the mugging areas, O'reilys and the Corbeau being on the route.
                Lived here for 15 months and I really think this is the safest I have ever felt in any city. Midi, Nord and most of downtown 1000 has a generally sleazy, reeking of pish type of vibe but I wouldn't say it worse than kings x or west end of london on a sat night.

I agree with Fleetwood re.the surrounding communes. Definitely better places to live and hang out in general.

The only place I ever got burgled was in a good area of Bermuda a few years back after living in London and Glasgow for years - karma, bad-luck or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
                  Having lived in Brussels for over a year and walked in all areas of the city at all hours I have encountered no trouble whatsoever.

One night somebody wanted to buy my precious Hat and offered myself 45 Euros , I turned his offer down and gave him a ciggie , he laughed and walked away.

Compared to UK cities you are very safe in Brussels.

Hate nothing except Hatred
                  Interesting point AJP. I can say the same about London, and I've been in Camden, Holloway, Brixton, Tower Hamlets alone late at night. I have this theory that those who are afraid give off subtle signals that indicate they are potential victims.
                  Obviously cool and sophisticated urbanites like us are immune
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    Interesting point AJP. I can say the same about London, and I've been in Camden, Holloway, Brixton, Tower Hamlets alone late at night. I have this theory that those who are afraid give off subtle signals that indicate they are potential victims.
                    Obviously cool and sophisticated urbanites like us are immune
                    Perhaps, then again being from Hamilton I had to be street wise to survive, perhaps I tend to frighten the muggers away ...

Six foot two
                    Eyes of blue
                    AJ Pruffocks after you ...
                    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 24 April 2006, 13:56.

Comment

Working...
                    X