• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Running.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running.

Last week I took up running. I hate running. Always hated running. I prefer cycling. But as cycling was giving my shoulder injury grief I thought running would be better.

So I've been doing 35 minutes each evening around a number of fields in the area but my knees are now killing.

Is this the best way to do it? ie. Fields. Or would be running on the pavement be better or would getting a running machine / gym be better. Plus do I need to get knee protectors or stuff?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Last week I took up running. I hate running. Always hated running. I prefer cycling. But as cycling was giving my shoulder injury grief I thought running would be better.

So I've been doing 35 minutes each evening around a number of fields in the area but my knees are now killing.

Is this the best way to do it? ie. Fields. Or would be running on the pavement be better or would getting a running machine / gym be better. Plus do I need to get knee protectors or stuff?
    If you have issues with your knee then maybe a treadmill is better or a thingy machine.

Comment

Are the fields muddy and uneven, or nice and flat and springy?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Run on something that isn't going to "give" in an unexpected manner.

Take it easy because otherwise you will seriously mess up your knees.

My advice would be to get a running machine and lose a couple of stone first.

Comment

Go to an athletics club and get some coaching with the farties/slimmers group in how to run properly; chances are your technique is crap. Also, don't run every evening. Run one evening, walk the next; you need rest.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
            If you have issues with your knee then maybe a treadmill is better or a thingy machine.
            why?
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Are the fields muddy and uneven, or nice and flat and springy?
              Not muddy, but uneven. Running around a racecourse.

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Run on something that isn't going to "give" in an unexpected manner.

Take it easy because otherwise you will seriously mess up your knees.

My advice would be to get a running machine and lose a couple of stone first.
              It's your bloody fault cause you called me lardy and when I checked I my picture, I thought, feck he's right.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

also make sure you have a good proper pair of running trainers, they make a huge difference.

Comment

Do swimming instead - no impact damage to the joints- although I went swimming last night at the local baths in Bristol and some little fooker had thrown up in the pool so there are other dangers
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    why?
                    It has some give.

Comment

Working...
                    X