• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opting out of the AWR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opting out of the AWR

We are finding that a lot of people think you can 'opt-out' of the Agency Worker Regulations in the same way as opting out of the Employment Business and Employment Agency Regulations 2003 - just to clarify they are two totally different things. You cannot decide whether or not you will fall within the scope of the Agency Worker Regulations 2010 - it will depend on your working practises. Any attempt to 'opt-out' would be viewed as avoidance.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

just goes to prove its another peice of goverment legislation no one understands

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      We are finding that a lot of people think you can 'opt-out' of the Agency Worker Regulations in the same way as opting out of the Employment Business and Employment Agency Regulations 2003 - just to clarify they are two totally different things. You cannot decide whether or not you will fall within the scope of the Agency Worker Regulations 2010 - it will depend on your working practises. Any attempt to 'opt-out' would be viewed as avoidance.
      I've had agency chasing me to do this (and started a thread at the time). It was more a declaration that you considered you were outside of their scope rather than an attempt to 'opt out'.

Are you saying that supplying an agency with a declaration that you consider yourself to be outside the scope of AWR could be detrimental ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        I've had agency chasing me to do this (and started a thread at the time). It was more a declaration that you considered you were outside of their scope rather than an attempt to 'opt out'.

Are you saying that supplying an agency with a declaration that you consider yourself to be outside the scope of AWR could be detrimental ?
        Decalre what you like, if you can't demonstrate you are genuinely in business*, you're in scope. You would do as well t sign a declaration that you are exempt from the law of gravity. If agencies wnat you to sign such things then do so, it means absolutely bugger all in the real world. Unless, of course, they give YourCo a clear B2B contract with none of hte pseudo-employee rubish in it...

* OK, so having a linmited comany and a series of engagements outside IR35 kind of covers that. Perhaps. Who knows...
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Decalre what you like, if you can't demonstrate you are genuinely in business*, you're in scope. You would do as well t sign a declaration that you are exempt from the law of gravity. If agencies wnat you to sign such things then do so, it means absolutely bugger all in the real world. Unless, of course, they give YourCo a clear B2B contract with none of hte pseudo-employee rubish in it...

* OK, so having a linmited comany and a series of engagements outside IR35 kind of covers that. Perhaps. Who knows...

I'm aware of all that Mal, I've done the 'genuinely in business thing' for 2 1/2 years with HMRC and come out the other side.

What i'm asking is, is the OP saying that signing some sort of declaration (which i agree is a waste of time) has some sort of detrimental effect. That is what is being implied in the original post.

In the my original post on this subject some weeks ago, I commented that this may lead, for the first time, to agencies coming out with better B2B contracts. The usual suspects shouted me down with the usual 'you need to demonstrate, working practices, staff toilets' bollocks that you normally do.

The trick here, is to read what was written before commenting

Comment

The trick here, is to read what was written before commenting
            Good idea. Read this - Hey, look at what we just did. We killed off IR35! | Contractor Accountants

HTH
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Again, I 100% agree with the sentiment, although, I assume thinking on this will be as about as joined up as IR35 vs employee rights, which are totally different things but use the same tests in court to determine status.

However, I asked the OP if she was implying that 'opting out' (which i know can't be done) or declaring yourself outside AWR as you are in business on your own account, can be detrimental as she claimed it would be 'avoidance'.

None of what you've posted above explains the OPs initial assertion. That is what i'm seeking clarification of.

Comment

Again, I 100% agree with the sentiment, although, I assume thinking on this will be as about as joined up as IR35 vs employee rights, which are totally different things but use the same tests in court to determine status.

However, I asked the OP if she was implying that 'opting out' (which i know can't be done) or declaring yourself outside AWR as you are in business on your own account, can be detrimental as she claimed it would be 'avoidance'.

None of what you've posted above explains the OPs initial assertion. That is what i'm seeking clarification of.
                Right. I'm not totally clear what avoidance means in that context; I assume avoiding being seen as being in scope of the AWR and therefore presenting a raised risk that you will claim assorted "things" from the end client. Or having to be dropped after 11 weeks in case you do try to caim something.

The problem is that the whole thing is being done backwards; as that blog says, the best answer is to emphasise the business relationship and eradicate any hint of the worker being a temporary employee of any kind. That, however, is far too deep a concept for the average agency to cope with, much less the poor dears Human Remains whjo would see a chunk of the empire disappear towards Procurement. Hence the need to be seen to be outside the AWR, rather than making sure people actually are outside the AWR.

As always, we are having to jump through non-existent hoops becuase the key players don't actually understand their own business.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

...much less the poor dears Human Remains whjo would see a chunk of the empire disappear towards Procurement...
                  OT, but I don't recall ever dealing with HR* in any of my contracts - it's always been purchasing.

Any, I watch with great disinterest to see how this develops.

* Except one of my current ones where HR really are the client. Even then, it went through procurement.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

TM the avoidance issue refers to agencies as they are liable for a fine of up to £5000 (per contractor) for attempting to 'get round' the legislation. The detriment for the individual is that they are being given the impression that they would not be able to make a claim for unfair treatment, in respect of pay and working conditions, even if they had a genuine case. In fact this isn't the case as their status will be dependent on whether or not a tribunal considers that they are in business in their own account or not (the guidance we've had so far indicates that they will use the same tests that are used for IR35) so they could make a successful claim even though they had signed something which said that they were outside the scope.
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X