• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed Awareness Course

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Awareness Course

Got caught on camera the other week doing 38mph in a 30 zone.

Have been offered the usual fine + 3 penalty points or alternatively offered to attend a 3-4hr Speed Awareness workshop.

Has anyone attended one of these and what were your thoughts ?

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Got caught on camera the other week doing 38mph in a 30 zone.

Have been offered the usual fine + 3 penalty points or alternatively offered to attend a 3-4hr Speed Awareness workshop.

Has anyone attended one of these and what were your thoughts ?
    The missus attended one a few years back. I think you pay for it (about £60) and they spend 3-4 hours scaring the tulip out of you with pictures of dead bodies and belittling you.

You don't get 3 points though.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      The missus attended one a few years back. I think you pay for it (about £60) and they spend 3-4 hours scaring the tulip out of you with pictures of dead bodies and belittling you.

You don't get 3 points though.
      Attended one last year. It went slowly to cover the typical numpty who needs things explaining 200 times. I did however learn a couple of things like what a dual carriageway actual is* and avoided the 3 points, the slightly large fine and the consequentially larger insurance premium.

* its the barriers in the middle. If the barriers are broken the maximum speed is would be 60 rather than 70 regardless of the number of lanes.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If it's your first three points then just pay the fine and take points. Insurance companies don't care about three points. If you've already got points then take the course. I went on one and it was pretty dull stuff. There were two groups of 30 on the course and the was the afternoon session.

Another Stealth Tax.
        Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Attended one last year. It went slowly to cover the typical numpty who needs things explaining 200 times. I did however learn a couple of things like what a dual carriageway actual is* and avoided the 3 points, the slightly large fine and the consequentially larger insurance premium.

* its the barriers in the middle. If the barriers are broken the maximum speed is would be 60 rather than 70 regardless of the number of lanes.
          The missus said that as well. Not well known that. Also, if there are street lights a certain length apart and no signs, then it's a default speed of 30 Mph.

Had 3 points in both cases before.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
            If it's your first three points then just pay the fine and take points. Insurance companies don't care about three points. If you've already got points then take the course. I went on one and it was pretty dull stuff. There were two groups of 30 on the course and the was the afternoon session.

Another Stealth Tax.
            On the surface that could be a bright move, because you can't take a second speed awareness course within so x years of the first, so second time you'd have to take the points and possibly insurance company wrath too. But this doesn't hold water if a second speeding offence, unattended, precludes you from doing the course for a first time too.

Comment

I went on one (34 mph). As MF says, it's a belittling exercise. We each had to explain to the group why we sped, for example. By all in all not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                I went on one (34 mph). As MF says, it's a belittling exercise. We each had to explain to the group why we sped, for example. By all in all not too bad.
                Because I wanted to see the max speed of my car? Is that a good answer. Sadly the real answer was because they placed a 40 mile zone in the middle of the lake district on a road where the rest of it is 60. Given that I was allowed on the course for doing 55 I think they know the cameras there are a money making scam.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The one I did was very good - I was pleasantly surprised. No belittlement, and lots of good driving tips. Instructor was excellent - I actually thanked her at the end and meant it. Was expensive though - more than the fine IIRC.

Comment

I've had 27 years of fine-free driving, not even a parking ticket, then got two NIPS in a week.

Took the points for one, 37 in a 30, laser gun, never saw it, no fixed cameras there, 8:45 Sat morn, then next weekend another, 81 in 70 on the A64 from York, both a bit mean, 10% error + 3mph and all that, but never mind, I did it m'lud. SAC for that one...

So now I'm causing havoc on the roads by crapping my self when I see a camera or an innocent van parked in a lay-by, I was on the A5 to Telford recently, more speed cameras than you can shake a stick at, I was a nervous wreck when I got to my destination!

I'm on the train now for the foreseeable....

Comment

Working...
                    X