• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Companies House Recorded Delivery Letter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Companies House Recorded Delivery Letter

My accountant has supposedly filed my accounts, but now apparatly I have a signed for red letter from companies house threatening a fine of £5000 which the missus has had to signed for.

As I'm the other end of the country I haven't seen it and will not get to see it until friday night. Anybody else had one of these. What is it?

Is it normal behaviour of companies house, as it is HMRC, to inform you of something by first sending the final demand and threatening to "fine" you an inordinate amount of money?

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    My accountant has supposedly filed my accounts, but now apparatly I have a signed for red letter from companies house threatening a fine of £5000 which the missus has had to signed for.

As I'm the other end of the country I haven't seen it and will not get to see it until friday night. Anybody else had one of these. What is it?

Is it normal behaviour of companies house, as it is HMRC, to inform you of something by first sending the final demand and threatening to "fine" you an inordinate amount of money?
    No, they normally send you several nice letters first... Even the one that said right you feckless bar steward we're fining you for being 4 months late didn't come recorded...

Comment

Better get yourself some vaseline, you go doing down!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Easiest action is to check the Companies House website and check your company's public record. It'll tell you if your accounts or returns are overdue.

That'll at least set the tone for the conversation with your accountant this afternoon ... (That was your next step, wasn't it?)

Comment

Originally posted by craig1 View Post
          Easiest action is to check the Companies House website and check your company's public record. It'll tell you if your accounts or returns are overdue.

That'll at least set the tone for the conversation with your accountant this afternoon ... (That was your next step, wasn't it?)
          Checked and annual return was due x/9/11....emailed accountant to see what he's playing at.
          Last edited by conned tractor; 20 October 2011, 14:50.

Comment

Checked and annual return was due 4/9/11....emailed accountant to see what he's playing at.
            Does your accounts name begin with a D or a U?

Comment

The accountant is liable for any fine you receive, if they are responsible for filing your return.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Does your accounts name begin with a D or a U?
                Doh! Ltd

sockie, can you just edit your quote please.

Comment

Our ClearSky clients did experience a situation recently were a number of them recieved late penalty notices due to the late filing of their P35.

Companies need to file a P35 form every year which is a summary of end of year payroll returns for all employees. A company that has no employees, such as the ones mentioned above need only make a ‘Nil P35’ notice to HMRC ahead of the deadline in May.

Unfortunately the process for filing a Nil P35 notice is a little old school to say the least. Companies have to physically write to HMRC and it would appear that there has been a little lapse in their filing as a number of businesses are now receiving penalty notices informing them of £400 worth of fines when they believed it had all been sorted. It’s an odd situation as businesses that do actually have a P35 to submit can do so online.

From our point of view we we able to demonstrate that we did file on time and all of the fines were rescinded.

I'm not saying this is the case here but it is worth asking your accountant to look in to it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    The accountant is liable for any fine you receive, if they are responsible for filing your return.
                    Going off topic....

So hypothetically speaking if an accountant filed a nil return for the year, (knowing that you had funds to record) you dont check what was filed at companies house, you subequently find out that a nil return was submitted ,who is responsible? The accountant or you the MD?

Comment

Working...
                    X