• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Very short term accommodation - back of van?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very short term accommodation - back of van?

Looks like I'll be doing a short term site visit to a client whose nearest hotels are pricey, with it being in the middle of nowhere.

I don't fancy paying ~£100/night for little more than a bed, and as I've done some work for them before (from home) I don't think (though yet to check) they'll agree to up my rate accordingly or swallow the expenses.

Thinking of borrowing my dad's van and bunking down in it for the week. Airbed, sleeping bag, pot noodles, kettle (that plugs into cigarette lighter), big bottle of water, lots of deodorant (or use any onsite shower facility).

Other alternative is to start early, finish late, and kip at the desk.

Anyone tried anything similar?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Originally posted by PAH View Post
    I once slept in the middle of a roundabout, but I was pretty wasted.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Looks like I'll be doing a short term site visit to a client whose nearest hotels are pricey, with it being in the middle of nowhere.

I don't fancy paying ~£100/night for little more than a bed, and as I've done some work for them before (from home) I don't think (though yet to check) they'll agree to up my rate accordingly or swallow the expenses.

Thinking of borrowing my dad's van and bunking down in it for the week. Airbed, sleeping bag, pot noodles, kettle (that plugs into cigarette lighter), big bottle of water, lots of deodorant (or use any onsite shower facility).

how far is it from some where cheaper?
      You might be able to get a B&B cheaper
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Or get pissed and pull, just make sure you don't inadvertantly invite her back to yours
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

How far away is civilisation? Surely in this country you're never more than half an hour from a B&B/Traveltavern

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            If I could be sure the visit would only take a couple of days I'd just forgo sleep, but they say it could take up to a week.

Do hotels let you book one day at a time if you don't know how long you'll be needed on site, or book the week then cancel the remaining unneeded days without penalty?
            Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

If I could be sure the visit would only take a couple of days I'd just forgo sleep, but they say it could take up to a week.

Do hotels let you book one day at a time if you don't know how long you'll be needed on site, or book the week then cancel the remaining unneeded days without penalty?
              Have you been eating the "Stupid" cake again? This is getting all Wilmslowesque...

FFS, where are you going to be working?

Here?

Comment

Bloody hell, you're whining about an hours pay for a hotel.

Sheesh.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

First of all the rate you're charging should accommodate for that - if you're going to work for them remotely a bit longer you will recoup the cost.
                  If I can get <£100/night accommodation in London quite easily, surely there is a good place for that in the middle of nowhere.
                  Have you already tried hotels.com, booking.com and expedia.co.uk and laterooms.com ?
                  If you show me a place in UK where there isn't a £60 place to stay within an hours drive, I will pay you the difference

But to sum up - don't especially, not at this time of the year try to sleep in a van or any place w/o a shower for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    how far is it from some where cheaper?
                    You might be able to get a B&B cheaper
                    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    How far away is civilisation? Surely in this country you're never more than half an hour from a B&B/Traveltavern

There's one b&b within ~30 minutes drive. Stayed there on my first visit to the client but it is grotty (had dead ants in the sugar bowl ) and the owners seem dodgy. I declined the cooked breakfast in case it was sourced from other visitors.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X